Find the answer to your Linux question:
i am building a server at home too host a few websites...maybe up to 5 sites...and like a forum or small photo gallery on each....they will not have high traffic.... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    om1
    Just Joined!

webserver at home (hardware)

i am building a server at home too host a few websites...maybe up to 5 sites...and like a forum or small photo gallery on each....they will not have high traffic.... but i need to get one that will support this but for cheep.

You can take a look at OpenSourceSMS.com. If you look on the left hand column part of the way down there are quite a few Content Management Systems (CMS) and Forums that are PHP based. The best part... THEIR FREE!!!

If you want to use one CMS for everything Drupal is a very diverse bit of software. It's free as well!

I think every one of these can be install extremely easy. All you have to do is unzip the file in the directory you want it installed in. Then goto the install directory of the CMS and follow the install wizard. The most complicated part is setting up the database. If you want to have a custom layout that will the the harder part. But there are usually very good support forums if you need help with something.
    Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206

om1
    Just Joined!
    thanks but...
    i need hardware....just the tower/rack....tower is probly going to be alot cheaper....ive been doing research...i probly get one decent enough for about 300-500 us dollars but i would like the community input since i am kinda new at this....dont get me rong i know what im doing i just would like your opinions..
    thank you
    sorry if my first post wasnt clear

Oh! I didn't see the (hardware) part.

Since you don't plan on getting a lot of traffic, you could use an average desktop computer. I'd just buy a barebones desktop computer or the parts to build one. You wouldn't have to pay for a graphics card so it would make the price considerably lower.

You could do a search for "barebones servers" also.
    Running Linux Since 2001

om1
    Just Joined!
    yeah i was thinking something like
    Emailed Cart
    well let me know what you think

I like AMD but that seems like a pretty good price. It might be a good idea to check out some barebones websites that let you customize the box before you do anything. I've found some very good deals that way before.
    Running Linux Since 2001