Find the answer to your Linux question:
can some one help me install server using Linux . any good sites where i can read. thanks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Arrow how to install a server using Linux

can some one help me install server using Linux . any good sites where i can read. thanks

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Your question is a bit vague. What exaclty are you trying to do and what type of information do you need?

Exclamation aha

yeah well i am trying to to install a server, well i want to learn, using a Linux Operating system and configuring it by installing sql, apache, etc. hope this is not to much of me. thanks (starting from scratch)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The only way to do it is to grab a distro and get started. We can answer your questions as you go. Check out the distro polls in the Linux Newbie section and pick a distro that appeals to you. Next install it - note that many distros give you the option to install mysql/apache during the install.

Exclamation yeah

i got this cd can i install a server with it
    Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 "Etch" - Official i386 CD Binary-1 20070407-11:55
    can some one help me.

Debian is a great distro, one of the best in my opinion. However I don't usually recommend it to new users. You will need to have a knowledge of Linux beforehand so you know what to install to have a running system as the default install is quite minimal.

Try starting with a distro like Fedora, openSUSE or Ubuntu. They will provide you with a fully functional system from the start to which you can add your server packages. If you still want to use Debian I would recommend either reading up a lot of their documentation or trying one of the other distros I mentioned until your are more familiar with the workings of Linux.

Exclamation yeah

i have installed Debian already i have it running in a virtual machine using vmware. yeah that is true that u say that it is a more complex, well i installed it and its working great so far. but i don't know if this is the way to do a server using Debian..
    yes i have Ubuntu.