Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
no It's not a failure message ...the same message which i sent to my gmail id. I think It's gets some how redirected to my root itself..any idea why this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

no It's not a failure message ...the same message which i sent to my gmail id.
    I think It's gets some how redirected to my root itself..any idea why this happens?
    So, its not the same message, is it ? It is indeed a failure message forwarded to root user ! That's what I asked you in the first place.

(reason: 553 5.5.4 <root@localhost.localdomain>... Real domain name required for sender address)
    That points you at the exact error. You cannot sent to another outside domain like gmail.com with a 'from' email address like root@localhost.localdomain ! It needs to be a real domain name.

As is apparent, every home computer (which is not on a public network like internet) has the domain name localhost.localdomain !! It needs to be something real like homelinux.com or similar.

Since, I don't use sendmail (been quite a while since last used sendmail), I cannot tell you exactly how you would go about it. But definitely, google is your friend. All you need to do is configure sendmail to some adress mapping i.e. replace localhost.localdomain with some real domain name.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by kevkim55 View Post
    So, its not the same message, is it ? It is indeed a failure message forwarded to root user ! That's what I asked you in the first place.
    yes.i never realised its failed message
    thanks i fixed the domain name issue ,
    now there is error message at log ..the mail was sent perfectly (i hope so)
    and on /var/log/maillog...i see this message

Code:
    Sep  1 04:12:41 pc021698 sendmail[14581]: l7VMgdWj014579: to=<lakshmipathi.g@gmail.com>, ctladdr=<root@pc021698.cts.com> (0/0), delay=00:00:02, xdelay=00:00:02, mailer=esmtp, pri=120337, relay=gsmtp183.google.com. [64.233.183.27], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection refused by gsmtp183.google.com.
    I googled for quite a bit of time and then even tried yahoo search to fix this ...
    yet to find....
    thanks.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Linux Newbie
    I think gmail needs a valid 'from' domain !

Have you tried setting up your sendmail config to use your ISP's smtpd server to send mail on your behalf ? Thats how I send mails to the outside world !

Linux Enthusiast
    (reason: 553 5.5.4 <root@localhost.localdomain>... Real domain name required for sender address)
    I don't think this error has anything to do with not being able to send mail.
    I think gmail needs a valid 'from' domain !
    gmail allows emails "from" user@localhost.localdomain
    Have you tried setting up your sendmail config to use your ISP's smtpd server to send mail on your behalf ?
    Yep, this must be it. He needs to relay through real SMTP server.

Linux Newbie
    gmail allows emails "from" user@localhost.localdomain
    Thats quite interesting. If gmail allows mail to be sent from an address like user@localhost.localdomain, why was it rejected by gmail's esmtpd ?

Yep, this must be it. He needs to relay through real SMTP server.
    Thats like saying indirectly that, he needs a real 'from' domain and localhost.locadomain is not a real domain. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Linux Enthusiast
    Thats quite interesting. If gmail allows mail to be sent from an address like user@localhost.localdomain, why was it rejected by gmail's esmtpd ?
    He is sending "To" his gmail account, which comes "from" root@localhost.localdomain . This is allowed by gmail. I tested it and I can send
    email to my gmail account from localhost.localdomain.

Thats like saying indirectly that, he needs a real 'from' domain and localhost.locadomain is not a real domain. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I think if he relays through his ISP's SMTP server and this SMTP allows relaying/sending emails "from" user@localhost.localdomain, then he does not need to do anything, and it will work.

Edit: gmail server will be receiving email from his ISP's SMTP server (with fully qualified domain name), and not from his localhost.localdomain.

Linux Newbie
    He is sending "To" his gmail account, which comes "from" root@localhost.localdomain . This is allowed by gmail. I tested it and I can send
    I don't quite understand ! How does gmail know that he is sending to "HIS "gmail account ?

Edit: gmail server will be receiving email from his ISP's SMTP server (with fully qualified domain name), and not from his localhost.localdomain.
    I agree with that.

I think if he relays through his ISP's SMTP server and this SMTP allows relaying/sending emails "from" user@localhost.localdomain, then he does not need to do anything, and it will work.
    I agree with that too.

So, we are agreeing upon one thing, if gmail accepts mails from localhost.localdomain Lakshmipathi need not do anything but, if gmail servers expects a valid/real domain name to receive mail from, Lakshipathi needs to use his ISP's SMTP server.

I tested it and I can send
    Did you use your ISP's SMTP server to send this mail ? If yes, I need not explain ! If not, I would like to know why you could send and Lakshmipathi couldn't !!?

Said that, I'm not trying to debate over this, I'm just trying to get things clear ! No pun intended !!

Linux Enthusiast
    I guess we were speaking different languages
    I wasn't trying to start a debate either.

As far as my configuration goes, I did not have to specifically configure my computer to use my ISP's SMTP server, however I am sure I am using it when sending email from localhost.localdomain. Otherwise, I do not see how else it could work.

The only configuration related to my ISP is one line in the resolve.conf file:
    Code:
    search myhome.myispdomain.com
    which probably allows my computer to lookup the SMTP server in my ISP's domain and use it to send emails.

P.S.
    I don't quite understand ! How does gmail know that he is sending to "HIS "gmail account ?
    The gmail server does not care whose account it is. If the account exists on gmail's server, and all other conditions (that we discussed, and others) are met, it accepts the email and delivers it to the mailbox of that account.

Linux Newbie
    I guess we were speaking different languages
    I thought we were speaking the same language but, in different dialect !!

The gmail server does not care whose account it is. If the account exists on gmail's server, and all other conditions (that we discussed, and others) are met, it accepts the email and delivers it to the mailbox of that account.
    I don't think you understood what I were trying to say !

Lakshmipathi sent an email to his own gmail account which failed because sendmail refused to send it for the reason (AFAIK) that the mail was not sent from a real domain. If you agree with that, you are also agreeing with my statement made earlier that, sendmail requires a real 'from' domain to send mail.

Once, he corrected the problem i.e resent the email with a 'from' domain other than 'localhost/localdomain', the mail was sent but was rejected by gmail for the reason I assume, the 'from' domain was not a valid domain.

Using ISP's XMTP server to forward mail would result in mail being sent from a valid domain (ISP's domain in this case), which would be accepted by gmail.

I remember, I had this same problem and I'd to use my ISP's SMTP server to be able to send mail from localhost.localdomain. Sending directly to gmail SMTP server resulted in mail being rejected by gmail server with the same error message as Lakshmipathi has encountered.

If you think, all this is just noise, just ignore it !

Linux Enthusiast
    I'm glad we finally understand each other.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast