Find the answer to your Linux question:
How good compared to 9.1 ? I lacked some drivers in 9.1 never upgraded and compilled the kernel for them (sound and USb2). The problem is Motherboard A7V8X-X. Are these ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware 10 someone ?

How good compared to 9.1 ?
    I lacked some drivers in 9.1 never upgraded and compilled the kernel for them (sound and USb2).
    The problem is Motherboard A7V8X-X.
    Are these solved ?
    Many new distros solved them especially mandrake 10.0 (awfull distro, unable to tweak anything though).

Linux Guru
    Well, I have to admit I've never used Slackware at all, but if it's just about drivers, I'd say it's easier to just compile a new kernel instead of reinstalling the entire system. ;-)

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    Well, I have to admit I've never used Slackware at all, but if it's just about drivers, I'd say it's easier to just compile a new kernel instead of reinstalling the entire system.
    Except that the solution is brought by 2.6 kernels.

I would be interested to know if later 2.4 kernels introduced some of the 2.6 kernels solutions especially those regarding power management and all ACPI system.
    The later involves also some device management (I can't really tell how) that meaning one hasn't to tell the kernel to turn ACPI off on that many motherboards as in 2.4 to run.

Changing from 2.4 kernels to 2.6 doesn't only involve compiling a new kernel but also all the modules. Those even have to be reworked in many cases and even some unofficial hardware compatibility added to kernel 2.4 wouldn't work in 2.6. In fact, and this is weird but true every distro seem to have completely tweaked kernels. In many cases, just compiling the source of the same kernel they provide won't build the same kernel they provide as a binary.

Even better : I know how to put the kernel 2.4 to work with sound for the Asus A7V8X-X. The problem is that the best working driver (and only I found in a binary out of the box) is that of Mandrake 10.0 on kernel 2.6 . I don't really bother about having sound on a server (even though getting a sound for each mail for instance would be nice) but I don't have a clue of what Mandrake did on their kernel to make the thing work and it seems many people are asking. They may have made a driver on their own.