Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well here is the deal. I have a network with 25 Computers on it. They all have a SSH Server Running on them selfs and Mixed Operating Systems. (WinXP, WinVista, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Post I have no idea what happens if...

Well here is the deal.
    I have a network with 25 Computers on it.
    They all have a SSH Server Running on them selfs and Mixed Operating Systems. (WinXP, WinVista, Win95, RedHat, Gentoo, Ubuntu, MacOSX, FreeBSD, NetBSD and serval others)

What happens if I connect to the IP on Port 22 with Putty.
    What computer does Putty take and why.
    Ive been wondering this for a while now and I really like to know what happens.
    How and Why he picks witch pc. or how I can Pick what I want to connect to.

Note, I cant test it since I dont have such a network. But well as a Cisco Student and a Linux Administrator I'd really like to know what happens and why..

well does anyone know how this works and why and/or have some documents about this?

Thanks.

Im so curious! ^^
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

it depends on how the network is setup. it'll either connect to the server, or wherever the server or router tell it to connect (using port forwarding). that's my best guess anyway.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

it connects to the computer that has the ip address you specified in putty. for example, computer A has an ip of 10.0.0.1, computer B has 10.0.0.2, and computer C (which you are going to use with putty) has 10.0.0.3. you fire up putty and put there the ip address, like 10.0.0.1, and port 22. as you click the Open button putty then connects to the computer with the ip address 10.0.0.1 which is, from our example, computer A.

is that what you're asking?

heh yea almost.
    Well I mean. When you have a network with 3 PC with adresses 192.168.1.1~3
    And there External IP Adress is 83.86.2.35

I wonder to what pc he connects when I connect to there Externel IP (Since you cant connect to there Internal Duh =P)

But, I think that d38dm8nw81k1ng Made a fair shot... I think that might be the right answer XD
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..