Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, My neighbour and myself both have website hosting servers, and neither of us in our own homes have unlimited downloads internet connection. Anyways, me neighbour wants to transfer some ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Server Relaying

Hey,
    My neighbour and myself both have website hosting servers, and neither of us in our own homes have unlimited downloads internet connection.
    Anyways, me neighbour wants to transfer some files from his server to mine (2GB X 3) and we do not wish to download them from his server then reupload to my server(Because we'd end up paying a hell of alot of money for exceeding out limit). Is there any way to transfer the files from 1 server to the other without the files having to pass through our own internet connections?
    cheers

Just Joined!
    are both of the hosting servers *nix based? does your hosting service allow SSH logins? if so, you can scp (Secure Copy) to transfer files between the two servers without using your bandwidth at all.

I

They're both running Cent OS
    but neither have SSH
    cheers

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Unhappy

i'm afraid that your options might be limited then. Does the service provide a gui/cient of some kind to manage the server? sometimes it is possible to have SSH-like control over the server from the user interface even if they do not allow it using SSH clients. Other than that, all i can suggest is to find a good cyber-cafe somewhere with good links and do the transfer from there.

Just Joined!
    ...although having thought about it... it might be possible to write a cgi script to put on the server, that would go and collect the files from your neighbours and then execute the CGI script from a browser. Same could be done using PHP if the server supports it.

PHP: http_get - Manual

alright then
    thanks
    its not that urgent and im not that gr8 at coding or anything but ill keep that in mind
    cheers