Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am sure people have asked this question a lot, but thought I would ask it again... what is the best Distro for a server. I am mainly familiar with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux server setup

I am sure people have asked this question a lot, but thought I would ask it again... what is the best Distro for a server. I am mainly familiar with Fedora so I am guessing you guys are going to tell me to stick with that, but I am also curious about the best way to make it more "server like." I am pretty sure one way of doing that would be to set it to go to text mode after I am done setting it up. is that correct or is that not going to make much of a difference?

I think your assumptions are right. for "the best" distro, go with what you know.

and making it more server like, not sure what your wanting but certainly stopping X will give you more room to do other things. you will need to change your runlevel to 2 or 3 and stop services like gdm or kdm, whatever your using.

and my favorite remote server management tool (besides ssh) is Webmin

Just Joined!
    thanks.. i will have to get it a try.. seems interesting... I was mainly talking about what are good things to get rid of on the server or to add on... should I keep SELinux (hmm not sure I remembered that right but I am sure you know what I am talking about) or should I disable it.

Quote Originally Posted by vorgusa View Post
    should I keep SELinux (hmm not sure I remembered that right but I am sure you know what I am talking about) or should I disable it.

if you are going to have this as a publicly accessible server, and are comfortable with tweaking it, why not keep selinux.

Just Joined!
    the last couple server programs I have looked at talked about how it kept interfering with everything.. wasn't sure if it was more trouble then it was worth