Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Friends, I am planning to have Mail server with Linux. I have following configuration server with me and i need information reg how much load it can take per ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mail server with Linux

Hi Friends,

I am planning to have Mail server with Linux.

I have following configuration server with me and i need information reg how much load it can take per day. I need in numbers.

Server configuration:

Intel Xeon dual processor

2 GB Ram

72 GG SCISI hard disk.

And also send me which mails server can i go for, like send mail or any other?

And also pls send me related docs if you have any.

Thanking you in advance.

Sincerely... Iqbal
    Syediqbalahammad@yahoo.com

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I don't think anyone can predict what load your hardware can manage because that depends on the amount of email you are going to be sending and recieving. The most popular mail servers are sendmail, postfix and exim. If you use Red Hat based distros, sendmail tends to be the default although you can swap it for postfix. On Debian exim is the default, but sendmail and postfix are available.

Just Joined!
    As you said (the amount of email you are going to be sending and recieving)... Is there any specif numbers which we can say this heardware can take that much load (Sending& recieving mails) per day....

Thanking you.. Iqbal
    syediqbalahammad@yahoo.com

Just Joined!
    I have a mail server (courier & postfix) using a P4 and 1G of ram....is easily able to handle several thousand incoming a day, and around 1000-2000 outgoing. I've never seen a limitation stemming from the hardware. It's running Gentoo, fyi.