Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Is anyone else getting out of date pages returned to them? If you look at the time on the forum index, is it changing? I have added some "no-cache" meta ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Apache Page Cache Problem?

Is anyone else getting out of date pages returned to them?

If you look at the time on the forum index, is it changing?

I have added some "no-cache" meta tags, but i am still getting cached pages.

If i clear my local browser cache it refreshes with the latest copy of the page, so it may just be my browser, unless apache is returning a "page unmodified" response.

Is anyone else experiencing these problems or is it just my stupid IE browser?

Cheers,

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    It is updating the time on my end. But I also clear cache/history/temp/etc... daily.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Guru
    Hmm...

I still think there is some sort of problem. When i hit refresh on my browser i am still being shown old pages.

I have checked the access logs on Apache, it displays entries like:
    Code:
    217.x.x.x - - [29/Mar/2003:14:01:42 +0000] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 304 0
    Now... 304 basically means "Not Modified", whereas i should see a code such as 200, meaning OK.

If 304 is returned to the browser, it will load it from cache.

The 0 is telling the size of the object returned to the client, not including the response headers.

Any ideas how to fix this one?

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Is your machine your browsing from the same as your server? I ask because it may pull direct from apache rather than using I.E. settings?

Also do you have your "check for newer versions of stored pages" set to "every visit" or "automatic"? and cleared local cache manually.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlanwan
    Is your machine your browsing from the same as your server? I ask because it may pull direct from apache rather than using I.E. settings?
    No, problem is happening on multiple machines.

Also do you have your "check for newer versions of stored pages" set to "every visit" or "automatic"? and clear cache manually.
    I have tried both settings.

This is definatly not a browser problem, it is without a doubt an Apache/PHP issue, as Apache is turning round and telling the client machine that the files have not been modified, even though these are dynamic files.

While the PHP scripts may not have been modified, the entries in the DB have.

i am using Apache 2.0.44

This seems to be a known issue, I have found 2 related Links, the Apache developers are blaming PHP developers, and the PHP developers are blaming the Apache developers...

http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=17098
    http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=9673

:drown:

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I think I see your problem but with no answers yet. I tried to edit my post to rephrase some lines and the old post keeps showing up like I never hit "submit" when I know I did. So since I have not made any changes on my end lately and it works fine on other sites, it's either apache or pphgroup app itself. Maybe check at check there or newsgroup?

But yes I can confirm your issue as correct. Just took me awhile to see it.

I noticed it does seem to update at a predefined period of time but not right away. So I can only update my posts after some period of time has gone by.
    Dan

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Since I can't edit my posts right now, I posting a addon to my previous msg.

I noticed it does seem to update at after a predefined period of time but not right away. So I can only update my posts after some period of time has gone by. i.e. I can edit post from late yesterday but not a few minutes ago.
    Dan

Linux Guru
    Since I can't edit my posts right now, I posting a addon to my previous msg.
    If you edit the posts, the changes are being saved, but becuase of the cache problem, the changes you made are not being shown to you...

I am going to revert back to an older version of apache if i cannot fix this by the end of tomorrow

Jason

Linux Guru
    Sod waiting until tomorrow.

I have just removed apache 2 live, compiled then installed apache 1.3.27 and PHP support.

The good news is that the Caching problems appear to have disappered! My access_log is now returing 200 OK for normal site requests.

Let me know if any other problems arise.

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    What 2.x Apache version were you using? Did you consider going to a lower verison of 2.x instead of 1.3x? i.e you lost some newer options

I'm on Windoze using Apache 2.0.44 and don't have that issue. But still trying to scam a used box for my linux test box or a free linux shell account if you have one in your pocket ?
    Dan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast