Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I want to create a sub account on my domain and have it be pointed to a subaccount on another domain.. is this possisble? It's also important that this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Creating subaccounts (~subaccount/) and DNS to non-subdomain?

Hi,

I want to create a sub account on my domain and have it be pointed to a subaccount on another domain.. is this possisble? It's also important that this be perfectly search engine friendly/no side effects. I was hoping to do this with dns, but I don't see how.

for example:

I have a domain on a shared server http://www.domain.com/~subaccount/fi...ory/lalala.txt
    and I want to move the domain to a new server (dedicated centos server), but I want the contents of ~subaccount/ to remain on the old server. So whenever someone visits they would notice no difference whatsoever, the file structure would stay the same and be administered on the shared server.

Some important things to consider are: I don't have a dedicated ip address for the shared server, so I can't access the site by ip address.

I do not want to use any form of redirect - I might be able to move the contents to a new domain on the shared server - otherwise I'm pretty sure it would be impossible since no ip address.

I'm sure it's possible.. otherwise much of sites like yahoo.com would have to be on one server for the most part....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jun87 View Post
    Hi,

I want to create a sub account on my domain and have it be pointed to a subaccount on another domain.. is this possisble? It's also important that this be perfectly search engine friendly/no side effects. I was hoping to do this with dns, but I don't see how.

for example:

I have a domain on a shared server www.domain.com/~subaccount/filedirectory/lalala.txt
    and I want to move the domain to a new server (dedicated centos server), but I want the contents of ~subaccount/ to remain on the old server. So whenever someone visits they would notice no difference whatsoever, the file structure would stay the same and be administered on the shared server.

Some important things to consider are: I don't have a dedicated ip address for the shared server, so I can't access the site by ip address.

I do not want to use any form of redirect - I might be able to move the contents to a new domain on the shared server - otherwise I'm pretty sure it would be impossible since no ip address.

I'm sure it's possible.. otherwise much of sites like yahoo.com would have to be on one server for the most part....

Thanks
    Well i to guess its possible. You can create a subdomain on your account and you need to park the domain for your another account. Which can be easily done by Cpanel Utility. Or your Hosting provider if any.
    See below the cpanel link-->
    cPanel - The Leading Control Panel
    Regards,

who |grep -i blonde |
    date; cd~; unzip; touch;
    strip; finger; mount; gasp;
    yes; uptime; umount;
    sleep

Newbie clicks
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html

Just Joined!
    Hmm.. well.. cpanel isn't really an option. I guess a better way to explain what i mean would be:

How can I get the contents of ~folder/ to show the contents of a sub-domain on a different server.

For example: folder.domain1.com hosted at hostingcompany1 would show up at domain2.com/~folder/ hosted at hostingcompany2

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close