Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey guys & girls i've got question...need an oppinion of ya, your experience and etc... I have like 10k mails that i want to send mail to, either an ad ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mass mailing

hey guys & girls

i've got question...need an oppinion of ya, your experience and etc...

I have like 10k mails that i want to send mail to, either an ad or information concerning about something else. i run postfix, how i do that? i've thinking of:
    writing an email to peckomm@something.com (i would use peckomm just for mails that should be distributed -mailed to all my users). then cron job running each minute, or 5 minutes checking if there is file (the mail send to peckomm) in the folder of peckomm, and copying to each of my users' mail directory. that is effective and doesnt generate network traffic, but how do i limit the access to peckomm@something.com, that means i do not want someone that knows (or will find out about this mail) to abuse it to send mail to all my users. two option i have in my head, but not sure if there are better or if they are any good:
    1) some sort of password (word generated with an algorithm i'll write it) placed in the body of the message.
    i'll be able to verify the password from the script.
    2) pgp, both the private and public key would be secret between the script and the one that sends the message to peckomm, so in order to redistribute the message i'll have to know how to decode it (decrypt)...

BTW, it *has* to be automated, a script or something.

please advise
    thanks

darko

You can setup postfix to sort mail so you don't get mail (to your mailbox) that is from people you don't want to receive from. I'm not sure about actually bouncing it, though. Your box has to be open to the world to receive mail, so either way (bouncing or sorting to a SPAM folder) you'll have to receive the mail.

As far as the sending part, I will not advise you because that volume of mails can only be SPAM.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Yeh dont help this guy unless its for non SPAM related things but he said
    I have like 10k mails that i want to send mail to, either an ad or information concerning about something else
    So sorry if i over step the mark but go get help from some other spammers

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    folks always the negative energy comes up first

i said postfix, and i have database of regular users (they have mail accounts), which from time to time have to be informed about changes and other info regarding our service and system. it has nothing to do with spam.
    if i was going to do spam, i could do it manually, creating mailinglist with my email client, and wouldnt even bother asking. i've said i dont want to creater network traffic, i have access to the mail server so its not something that is spam, rather it is me as an admin to distribute mail to my users....
    all moral, ethic and other aspects are to be respected

so if you have any idea please advise

thanks

darko

So basically you want to forward anything that is in your mail folder to all your users? Or am I reading your post incorrectly?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Guru
    In that case, it's simpler than that. Just add this peckomm's ~/.procmailrc file:
    Code:
    :0
    |$HOME/sendmm

:0
    /dev/null
    Then make ~peckomm/sendmm an executable file that looks like this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

tmpfile="$(mktemp /tmp/mmXXXXXX)"
    cat >"$tmpfile"

exec 3<~/maillist
    while &#58;; do
        read address
        if &#91; -z "$address" &#93;; then break; fi
        /usr/lib/sendmail -t address <"$tmpfile"
    done
    exec 3<&-
    rm "$tmpfile"
    If it isn't obvious, ~peckomm/maillist should be a file that contains all the recipients, one per line (with no empty lines).

The procmail recipes makes sure that mails sent from your address are mass-mailed, but all others are delivered into /dev/null.