Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to find a good how-to somewhere for setting up an irc server...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

trying to set up an irc server

I'm trying to find a good how-to somewhere for setting up an irc server

Just Joined!
    IRC software

But why? Internal for your company maybe...

if its for your internal company, might I suggest a jabber/xmmp variant Jabber Servers

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jledhead View Post
    if its for your internal company, might I suggest a jabber/xmmp variant Jabber Servers
    Yeah maybe I should have eloborated on my answer a bit more. I was asking "why?" becasue if it is internal for your company, there are many other better choices like jabber and spark. If you're doing it for the internet world, make sure your server is very hardened, especially if it becomes popular. You'll get nailed by people trying to take it down every day, run very strict bots.

I ran several (several years ago) and even a local group and got fed up with the constant (and I mean CONSTANT!!!) *****ing about about "it should do this" and "it should do that" and "why isn't so-and-so an admin". Just make sure it is something you want to do if it's for the "WWW" and not internal for your company.

It is for the company I work for. We've been using irc here for chat for a couple of years now and we've been having problems with the irc server "hiccuping' and kicking everybody off every half hour or so. None of us have really worked on an irc server before (the guy that set this one up was fired about a year and a half ago) so I got assigned the task of learning it and setting up a new one. I suggested switching over to jabber or the like but we have 150 computers and no domain controller so my boss really doesnt want to set up a new chat program on every individual computer.

I actually got unreal ircd up and running on a test server but the only problem i am having is setting up the "oper block" in the .conf file. If any of you have any experience with unreal ircd, i would love somebody to explain to me how that section of the .conf file works. I haven't really found anything too helpful online yet.