Find the answer to your Linux question:
Before I start asking questions and requesting help, I need to give a little info about my setup... I have two servers that I built that I'm in charge of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy NFS: "File size limit exceeded"

Before I start asking questions and requesting help, I need to give a little info about my setup...

I have two servers that I built that I'm in charge of administrating. The first server is our primary CAD server which has a 750GB hardware RAID-5 setup, 4GB memory, a dual core processor, and it runs on Fedora 7. The other server is our incremental backup server (I save roughly 1 months worth of incremental backups) which has a 750GB software RAID-0 setup, 2GB memory, a Athlon XP processor, and it also runs on Fedora 7.

The way things are configured, I have the CAD server connected directly to the network and the backup server hiding behind the CAD server and sharing its internet connection. I share files between the two servers by mapping a NFS share from the backup server onto the CAD server. Every night at a specified time, I have several scripts that run that take care of gathering up a copy of all the files that have changed and copying them over to the backup server. A few hours after the files are copied, the backup server takes over and compresses the files for storage.

This setup has been working until I started to run into files that were exceeding 2GB in size. When I come across a +2GB file, the backup server complains that the "File size limit exceeded" and it stops the transfer.

Here are the outputs from ulimit -a and the contents of my limits.conf file:

ulimit -a output:
    Code:
    [root@backup ~]# ulimit -a
    core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
    data seg size           (kbytes, -d) unlimited
    scheduling priority             (-e) 0
    file size               (blocks, -f) unlimited
    pending signals                 (-i) 49151
    max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 32
    max memory size         (kbytes, -m) unlimited
    open files                      (-n) 1024
    pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
    POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
    real-time priority              (-r) 0
    stack size              (kbytes, -s) 10240
    cpu time               (seconds, -t) unlimited
    max user processes              (-u) 49151
    virtual memory          (kbytes, -v) unlimited
    file locks                      (-x) unlimited
    Contents of /etc/security/limits.conf:
    Code:
    #<domain>      <type>  <item>         <value>
    *               hard    fsize           10240000
    Even with the above settings and restarting the NFS server, I still get errors that the files size limit was exceeded. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you know how to fix it?

Thanks to anyone who responds!

Just Joined!
    I'm still not sure what is causing NFS to screw up, but I have found away around this problem by installing Samba on the backup server and mounting a Samba share using mount.cifs. Not only does this get around the 2GB file limit, but the CIFS transfers are 2x faster.