Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, Ubuntu 7.04 server amd64 (Host OS) bind9 VMWare. On running; $ sudo /etc/init.d/bind9 start Code: * Starting domain name service... bind [fail] $ ps aux|grep -i named Code: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Problem on starting BIND9

Hi folks,

Ubuntu 7.04 server amd64 (Host OS)
    bind9
    VMWare.

On running;
    $ sudo /etc/init.d/bind9 start
    Code:
     * Starting domain name service... bind                                                                                           [fail]
    $ ps aux|grep -i named
    Code:
    bind      4477  0.0  0.1  70728  3608 ?        Ssl  02:05   0:00 /usr/sbin/named -u bind
    root      5488  0.0  0.0  10084   776 ?        Ss   02:48   0:00 /sbin/syslogd -a /var/lib/named/dev/log
    satimis   5601  0.0  0.0   5028   888 pts/0    S+   03:09   0:00 grep -i named
    Please advise where shall I check and how to fix the problem. TIA

Edit:

Problem solved after reboot

B.R.
    satimis

Your problem was that Named was already running as you could see from the ps command. Instead of 'bind9 start' you should have used 'bind9 restart' to restart it.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    Your problem was that Named was already running as you could see from the ps command. Instead of 'bind9 start' you should have used 'bind9 restart' to restart it.
    Thanks for your advice.

I found the cause of my problem. After reboot "sudo /etc/init.d/bind9 start" worked but NOT restart/reload. The latter was obstructed by the firewall. After running "sudo iptables -F" then it worked as well.

B.R.
    satimis