Find the answer to your Linux question:
I run Gentoo 2007.0 on this Server. And it needs Apache. So I emerge apache. When I try to run apache I get: Code: apache2: apr_sockaddr_info_get() failed for firegate firegate ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

No Listening Sockets Available, shutting down.

I run Gentoo 2007.0 on this Server.
    And it needs Apache.
    So I emerge apache.
    When I try to run apache I get:
    Code:
    apache2: apr_sockaddr_info_get() failed for firegate firegate is the PC name
    apache2: Cloud not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName Ok, I dont get a Domain Name.. but that shouldnt be a problem should it?
    No Listening Sockets Available, shutting down. What? I dont run anything else on port 80. There can just be put a Socket so I dont get the problem..
    Unable to open logs. You cant open logs? Why not?? :S.. Well see if I care..
    The Red text is comment ofc.
    Anywho, I dont get why apache doesnt run :/
    I dont get anyother error msg..
    I googled and I found people with simulair problems.
    But none of those answers was what I did..
    Is there anyone who can and wants to help me?

Cheers,
    Robin
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!
    I just had this same problem. I, too, run Gentoo, and I upgraded Apache. I was getting really, really annoyed because all the solutions say, "Apache must already be running."

What it actually is, though, is that the "Listen" directive somehow gets removed from httpd.conf.

In my case, I just threw a "Listen 80" at the top of one of my vhost.conf files (but it should probably go in httpd.conf?), and all was well.

Hint: /etc/init.d/apache2 takes a "zap" argument that will manually reset it to "stopped," if you end up in a position where it's not sure if it's running or not. After the errors and ambiguity over it got started, I did...
    /etc/init.d/apache2 kill
    /etc/init.d/apache2 zap
    /etc/init.d/apache2 start

After adding the "Listen" directive back in, it came up just fine. (Unless, of course, there are other config issues...)

Ill try that when he is done with Emerge world.. (I thought lets try that after losing all my hairs).
    So that takes another day or something and then I can try that once.
    Thanks alot.. ^^

Edit:
    Doesnt work..
    Still get the error.
    But now I also have Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinVossen View Post
    But now I also have Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
    Do you have multiple Listen directives now? There should only be one. I got the same error you mention above when I accidentally put "Listen 80" in two vhost files. You only want it once.

No, nothing else is running on port 80.
    In the mean while I fixed it and it was something really weird. (Cant remember)
    Anyhow, thanks
    Google first, then ask..