Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am very new to Linux. We had an Exchange server running for our mail for years and it recently crashed. Rather than rebuild it we decided to switch to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trying to set up mail server - help!

I am very new to Linux. We had an Exchange server running for our mail for years and it recently crashed. Rather than rebuild it we decided to switch to Linux. So far, however, we haven't gotten things working.

I am using Fedora Core 5, Sendmail, dovecot, and eventually squirrelmail. I've been using Webmin to administer things because frankly I don't have much of a clue when it comes to the command line yet.

We got Sendmail configured correctly, so we're able to receive mail and send mail. Using Webmin I can look at the user mailboxes and see that mail has come in, and I can reply to mails and they go out fine.

The problem is with dovecot. I've been fiddling with the config for weeks and finally got it to load, but I can't log into it with a mail client to receive mail. I'm using pop3 right now because I use Outlook Express and Thunderbird mail clients. The error I get is that my authentication failed, so I'm assuming something is wrong somewhere with the password file? I went to the dovecot web site and tried their default config, but get the same error.

Any ideas?

Just Joined!
    Have you thought about any of the following?

Qmail Toaster RPMS for RedHat, Fedora Core, CentOS, Mandriva, Mandrake and SuSE
    Pegasus Mail < not a linux mail server
    Scalix: Linux Email, Calendaring and Messaging Platform
    Zimbra offers Open Source email server software and shared calendar for Linux and the Mac

We used pmail then qmail for a bit they both worked well. Right now our mail server is tied in with our web server with ISPConfig and I am looking at Scalix vs Exchange vs Zimbra. We want to start using calendars or we wouldn't be upgrading.

I know that doesn't answer your question directly but it will give you a solution to email and then you can continue to develop your experience to design your own.

If this is for a business application I would HIGHLY recommend that you not use Fedora as this is Test bed software. If you are looking RH and don't want to pay the tax then look at CentOS.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Yes, I agree that Fedora is not good for a business application. Red Hat is your best bet with CentOS following close behind that.

As far as POP3 goes....
    I never liked dovcot. I always thought it was way too bloated for what it should be. When I used to use sendmail I set up pop3d directly through cyrus (cyrus-imap package). Since you usually will need the cyrus-sasl packages for you authentication. If you go with CentOS you can install the packages straight from the disk or use up2date to install the packages. It makes it so much easier

However, I switched to postfix about 6 months ago and I am never going back to send mail again!

Check this easy to follow tutorial out. 11. Basic Postfix configuration and preparation for SMTP AUTH You just need to install postfix and there is an up2date package for CentOS for that too. RPMs are your friend.

---
    -Mike
    Mike's Blog

Just Joined!
    What about qpopper as pop3 server. It usually works "out-of-the-box" - after installation and configuration.

I tried qpopper...it's pretty good especially if you go with q-mail.

I have successfully setup and administrated sendmail, postfix, and q-mail servers and the best and easiest to setup and administrate would have to be the postfix setup I suggested before. However, if you want easy scalability for a lot of users and domains, q-mail is the best. It's a pain to setup at first because you find that you will do a lot of reading of documentation but, once it is up there are a lot of little tool packages for easy administration.

Oh and ditch the POP3 server and go with IMAP!