Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all! Name's Matt. I'm a newb to Linux, but have always had an interest in it. Well, this term at tech school, I started my Linux Cert. course and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newb looking to get an HTTP and FTP server up and running...

Hi all! Name's Matt. I'm a newb to Linux, but have always had an interest in it. Well, this term at tech school, I started my Linux Cert. course and I think I'm ready to try out the Penguin....

Just a little history on me. Been working with Windows since 3.11. I'm fairly efficient with DOS 6.2, have a decent Novell understanding, and am soon taking my A+, Net+, and NT certs.

I got my hands on a decent spec'd box from my future in-laws, PII, 512 PC 800, 20G ATA, yata, yata, yata.... I'm looking to set up a small http and ftp server here in the house. Nothing to large or demanding, just something to keep up and running and to play with, and since the family doens't know anything other then XP, that's what staying on my main machine. So rather then dual boot, I figured I'd install on the new box and set up my server.

To cut to the chase, I was wondering if any of you pros have any tips for a newcomer. You know, the usual. What disto? Server Apps? Etc.

I was leaning towards Mandrake or SuSe, not quite sure which, and was going to research server apps sometime between school full time and working 40 hours/week

Any help I could get would be great! Thanks for your time! Cheers!

Linux User
    For an HTTP server, I recommend apache http://httpd.apache.org/

I've heard SuSe, Mandrake, and Redhat are the most 'newbie'-friendly distro's. I used Redhat (maybe verson 6) and at that time it was easier than other distros I tried. (debian/slackware) Either one will probably be fine. The main differences will be installing, packages included, and the package manager.

Here's a couple tips
    --To clear the screen on a console, or term, press CTRL-L
    --The character ~ means your home directory, so if you are user Diddy, "~/bob" would be the same as /home/Diddy/bob
    --The character . means current directory
    --CLI means command line interface (just think of it as "command" for dos/windows cmd in XP)
    --Up/Down arrows choose Prev/Next CLI commands
    --tab is auto completion for the CLI

And an amazing command is "man" (manual). It tells you everything. If you want to know what "tar -xzvf foo.tar.gz" does, then just type "man tar"

--monkey
    --monkey

Just Joined!
    I recommend Redhat linux. Everything you will need is included in the distribution to get you started.

Get Netterm to use as a telnet client to use on your xp machine. Netterm is a great telnet client and they have an ssh version as well. Shareware.

I have been working on Linux for 10 years and am glad to help. Just ask.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Use rpm to start

Try to start with redhat, or fedora that is now the open front of redhat distro...

This is a kind of user friendly and frequently updated distro.

About servers, you can get them from their web locations, and put any server running over almost any distro, but using rmp tools to install/uninstall is easyest for beginners.

Mandrake (currently 10) is also a very nice distro, a great desktop in fact, you can try it also, it uses rpm package manipulation also.

About tips I would like to advice you to get linux documentation, a beginner book, then an advanced user book and so on... Because with tips you will never know how the things really are.

For tests and that I use VMWARE virtualization software, I don't care if I mess up with the system, I get it, or a new one, running again in few seconds...

I would advise on using Debian, Slack or a BSD for servers it saves time since there is no removing of all the uneeded stuff. You really want to have a distro that has nothing to start with then build up from that. Also if you are going to run a public server its better to do things the right way Apache as you httpd server is a must, Then why not add PHP, mySQL and vsftpd think LAMP

ps, Im not a pro :P

dont just add php/mysql/java scripting services if you dont need them, if you keep any sensative data at all on that network, then at the least set the server in a dmz if your going to run those, they make a crackers life much easier.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    for a server i wouldnt use FC2 as it still has many bugs and is incomplete.... if your really interested in using rh (as i am, its the only linux os i'll use after trying debian), i would highly recommend rh9.... its a very stable os and has many server-essential features built into the operating system

Just Joined!
    I agree with folks here. Go with RH9. Its easy to install and configure everything you need for server application (Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl, vsftpd..etc) If you need a gui Id opt for Webmin instead of running a heavy desktop like Gnome or KDE on your RH box. That way you have a gui and remote administration tool all in one package without the resource loss. If you don't need a gui, use PuTTY for secure remote admin.

Just Joined!

distro choice

I'm not sure of course, but by the way you put it, I think your server will not be really mission-critical (in the beginning). If you have a resident linux-guru hanging around somewhere, ask him/her to help you on your way. In that case, going with the distro/ apps your personal linux-guru uses is probably the best option. Just buy him/her some beer (or make some tea :P ), sit down on a rainy day with a pen and some paper, and watch, do and learn. If you get the hang of it, you can look around some, a little more informed. Oh, and don't forget: especially when it comes to linux, google is your friend. But no matter what you choose, the first good choice you've already made, so I hope you have fun with your linux-exploration!

ps: I personally like debian a lot, but that's just because I'm addicted to apt-get.

As for your family, XP and interaction with the server: you might want to look into http://winscp.sourceforge.net/eng/ .