Find the answer to your Linux question:
This may seem kinda weird, but I would like to be able to control xmms on my machine from a web interface. I am currently trying to do this from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Starting xmms from apache ?

This may seem kinda weird, but I would like to be able to control xmms on my machine from a web interface. I am currently trying to do this from php using the exec() function. It returns an error code of 0 but nothing ever happens. My setup is Ubuntu 7.10 with the LAMP package installed.

I have all of my CDs ripped to MP3s and I want to set up a web-based interface to my collection. I don't want the monitor, keyboard and mouse cluttering up the living room. I just want a small computer which is connected to my receiver. The interface will be web-based and I will essentially use a Pocket PC as a remote control to browse and play music from my collection.

So far I've created a MySQL database, populated it with the id3 tags from my MP3s and have successfully queried it through a PHP page. If I can just find a way to control xmms (or another player) the only thing left to do will be create the web-based UI.

This seems simple and I would prefer not to make it more complicated than necessary, but I would consider other approaches.

I once made something like this ^^
    You might like the Idea of install xvnc on the box and install vnc-viewer on the PPC.
    As x11 you can just run something really small that only shows the Mediaplayer.
    Or you might want to use SSH-control to access and then use the ncurses interfase.

I hope you get this up and going. I am always intrested into this kind of projects ^^
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..