Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a new server athlon 64 x2 5600, 4gb ddr and choosing beetwen OS. I have red hat, fedora, suse...in my mind or any other by your recomendation? I'll ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wich OS to choose on my new server?

I have a new server athlon 64 x2 5600, 4gb ddr and choosing beetwen OS. I have red hat, fedora, suse...in my mind or any other by your recomendation? I'll use it for some joomla and similar php code projects and the rest of the space i'll sell further. I'll have cpanel or plesk...don't know jet. Also don't know to choose 64 or 32 bit system? tnx for your help!

The distro choice will be your own, it' really a matter of preference. However because you have 4GB of RAM I would recommend using a 64-bit system so you can avoid the 32 bit barrier and the PAE messing. Check the polls in the forum for popular distributions.

oz
    forum.guy
    Here's a recent "favorite distro for servers" poll you can check for some help:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...ver-users.html
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by mattek33 View Post
    I have a new server athlon 64 x2 5600, 4gb ddr and choosing beetwen OS. I have red hat, fedora, suse...in my mind or any other by your recomendation? I'll use it for some joomla and similar php code projects and the rest of the space i'll sell further. I'll have cpanel or plesk...don't know jet. Also don't know to choose 64 or 32 bit system? tnx for your help!
    Hello,
    I guess CentOS with Cpanel is the best option. As CentOS has numerous advantages over some of the other clone projects including an active and growing user community, quickly rebuilt, tested, and QA'ed errata packages, an extensive developers who are contactable and responsive, multiple free support avenues.
    Otherwise RedHat EL AS4, and Fedora Core 4 are always there. Oh and ya Suse i dought for servers.
    Regards,

who |grep -i blonde |
    date; cd~; unzip; touch;
    strip; finger; mount; gasp;
    yes; uptime; umount;
    sleep

Newbie clicks
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html

Just Joined!
    heh looks like debian is leading...hm which is better for a beginner? debian or centOS

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mattek33 View Post
    heh looks like debian is leading...hm which is better for a beginner? debian or centOS
    There are no accurate answers for your type of question. I suggest you take both for a spin and see which one works best for you.

I agree with daark.child. You should try as many as you can and decide yourself. If you have any other question, feel free to start a new thread.
    Thread Locked.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First