Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys I am sorry for keep asking Newbie questions but I want to make sure that I am doing this the correct way and being secure of doing this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What Software Packages Should I go with to make my webserver secure?

Hi Guys
    I am sorry for keep asking Newbie questions but I want to make sure that I am doing this the correct way and being secure of doing this since I do not want the Feds come to my door asking about peoples credit cards and personal information being leaked by a hacker so my main question is what software packages should I download and install on to my home webserver for my small business e-commerce site that is dealing with personal and credit card information so I need to know what software packages I should get. The server information I have is:
    Memory: 380MB
    Hard Drive: 40GB
    CPU: 1.3GHz Intel Celeron

Just Joined!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by kustomjs View Post
    Hi Guys
    I am sorry for keep asking Newbie questions but I want to make sure that I am doing this the correct way and being secure of doing this since I do not want the Feds come to my door asking about peoples credit cards and personal information being leaked by a hacker so my main question is what software packages should I download and install on to my home webserver for my small business e-commerce site that is dealing with personal and credit card information so I need to know what software packages I should get. The server information I have is:
    Memory: 380MB
    Hard Drive: 40GB
    CPU: 1.3GHz Intel Celeron
    Well there isn't too many answers to the software u want for you network because linux does not have many viruses but I use Virus Scanner & I think its called fire starter (Firewall) and yes I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 but im on the home version

what are you running that needs secured?

you could always run something like aide or tripwire, you could run a firewall (like mentioned above), and you can also make sure whatever service you are running is chrooted.

and google is your friend
    hardening linux - Google Search

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close