Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I think my postfix server need a little configuraiton optimisation. The server work fine but, since one month, i have somethink like 1100 email in my postqueue (always for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Postfix: Lots of email stay in postqueue

Hi

I think my postfix server need a little configuraiton optimisation. The server work fine but, since one month, i have somethink like 1100 email in my postqueue (always for the last 5 days)

Most of the email are tag with: Connection timed out or Connection refused

ex:
    connect to gobritney.com[64.211.44.10]: Connection refused
    connect to mx.lyricsfreak.com[209.51.143.170]: Connection timed out

So, maybe a postfix or spamassasin problem?

config: Postfix, spamassin, cyrusIMAP and amavis-new on Debian Sarge

Thx for help

how long are they staying in the queue?

you can use qshape to tell you that

the domains that are in there for extended periods, with time out, can you connect from your postfix server? log into your server (ssh or whatever) and at a cmd prompt telnet to the mail server you can't connect to
    #telnet problematic.mailserver.com 25

and see if it times out or gives another error. if it times out then use something like this Ip Tools, DNS tools, internet tools, WHOIS, traceroute, ping, domain name tools and see what the mx records are and try and connect directly to its name and then IP address.

Just Joined!
    They always stayd 5 days in queue (i suppose they are automaticly drop after 5 days...)
    I have export all stats with pflogsumm and most of email that are jam in queue are destinate to online compagny... maybe all this email are spam?

I will try telnet on port 25 and do a network diagnostic. I give you news after that. Thx

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    After some test with qshape and mxtoolbox (Email Server Test - Online SMTP diagnostics tool) i found couple of think

1: qshape confirme that normal mail have no problem. in qshape, all mail have nothing more then 5 (and if i refresh after a couple of second they are delivred)

2: most mail in my queue with Connection timed out give this on mxtoolbox: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond or sometime Problem: reverse DNS check failed

3: most mail in my queue with Connection refused give this on mxtoolbox:
    No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

So, my conclusion is: network problem is not in my side... but why i have all this email in my queue.... and does is normal that all this email are from: MAIL-DEAMON ???

But... after all of this, i have test my server with mxtoolbox... and i have the same error that server tag with "connection timed out".

Maybe the test failed because i have a NAT server...

help...