Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've had sendmail on my previous server, now i have postfix installed, which i think is better. Now i want to transfer mail from my old server to my new ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

restore mail to postfix how to?

I've had sendmail on my previous server, now i have postfix installed, which i think is better.
    Now i want to transfer mail from my old server to my new server. Only there is a problem, on my old server, all my mail was stored in 1 file.
    On postfix each email has his own file.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

sounds like you mean from postfix to postfix, if thats not what you meant let us know.
    From the postfix site
    Postfix Frequently Asked Questions

Code:
     Procedure 2: Your Postfix queue is not empty, or you are running a Postfix release prior to 20010525

* Stop Postfix, if it was running.

# postfix stop

* To avoid queue file name collisions when restoring queue files, copy or restore the incoming, active and deferred queue files under the maildrop directory instead.

# cd /var/spool/postfix/maildrop
              ...restore incoming, active, deferred here...

* While the next step is going on, don't submit new mail locally, because that could collide with the files you are restoring under the maildrop directory.

* As of late 2000, Postfix queues are all hashed (for example, file ABCDEF is stored as A/B/ABCDEF), so you need an additional step to move files down from their subdirectories.

# find incoming active deferred -type f -exec mv '{}' . ';'
              # rm -rf incoming active deferred
              # postfix start

* When Postfix is started, it will pick up queue files from the maildrop directory and will give them proper queue file names.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help, but unfortunatly this is not the solution.
    The way i have the e-mails now is in 1 file, with all the e-mails in that 1 file.

the filename is "inbox".

I hope you know

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I think you mean that your old mail was stored in mbox format and you are now using maildir.

Try searching for mbox maildir conversion in google or similar. There are tons of utilities/scripts that will do this for you.

Alternatively, use mbox in postfix. The directive in main.cf is home_mailbox or something similar

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by billymayday View Post
    I think you mean that your old mail was stored in mbox format and you are now using maildir.

Try searching for mbox maildir conversion in google or similar. There are tons of utilities/scripts that will do this for you.

Alternatively, use mbox in postfix. The directive in main.cf is home_mailbox or something similar
    Yes this was indeed the solution, if anyone else has problems with this, this is the solution:
    Converting from UNIX mbox/mailbox to Maildir - postfix, procmail, Squirrelmail, uw-imap and cyrus-imap