Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know I put the cart before the horse. But I have paid for a server only to find out that the only OS option is centos. I know nothing, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Desperate: Centos + drftpd

I know I put the cart before the horse. But I have paid for a server only to find out that the only OS option is centos. I know nothing, well almost nothing, about linux let alone how to set this thing up. Now I am out of pocket a ton of money and can't use this thing. I have no idea how to get drftpd to allow users. It has apache.ant installed along with the lates java. I have root access and can access the drtpd files but from there I stumped. Sure it's easy they say. I have the car. The gas. But no idea where to find the key or turn it on. HELP? Please. I am desperate

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I've never run drftpd so can't be of much help, but have you already checked the documentation and faq on their website?

http://www.drftpd.org/index.php/Main_Page
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by Mikisiw
    ... I have paid for a server only to find out that the only OS option is centos.
    You could have done a whole lot worse. CentOS is a fantastic Linux distribution (it's a near clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux). So you're starting with a solid OS.

Is this CentOS 5? The command cat /etc/issue will answer that question if you don't know. (I only ask because it will lead into your next question/answer.)

I know nothing, well almost nothing, about linux let alone how to set this thing up.
    You need to get a beginners' book on Linux asap. And I also highly recommend some complementary material, e.g. 'Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Administration Unleashed' by by Tammy Fox. (RHEL 5 == CentOS 5, which is why I asked earlier.)

This part is not optional. You need training and/or you need to do a lot of reading, or you're going to be an unhappy camper.

I have no idea how to get drftpd to allow users.
    Unless drftpd offers some exotic feature that you require, I'd suggest checking out vsftpd as an alternative. But let's not get ahead of ourselves: you need to learn the foundation (and lots of it) first.

Good luck.

Just Joined!
    While I greatly appreciate your reply and genuine concern, this is yet another example of the frustration I have with attempting to use any linux distro. You say "the command cat /etc/issue" will answer my question. LOL LOL Sorry but here's the thing, as in all help with linux, you give me the gas, you give me the car, but you don't give me the key to start it. Let me explain. Where in gods name do you put that? No good telling me to enter a command when I have absolutely no idea where to do just that. Now I get into the box using PuTTy. It brings me to the root or using another seperate name\pass I enter the drftpd . Where I enter cd master/conf and then nano perms.conf to open that to configure. So now do I simply enter that command you gave in the root that I open?

Just Joined!
    aha. Ok now we're getting some where. I bit the bullet and went into the root and simply entered what you gave me. This is what I got>
    CentOS release 4.3 (Final)
    Kernel \r on an \m
    Does that help?

CentOS release 4.3 (Final)
    Ok, then to slightly adjust my recommendation, you'll want to buy/borrow and thoroughly read/practice with:
    • A Linux book geared toward beginners (there are plenty).
    • A sysadmin-level book specific to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. (You might go for the same title I mentioned earlier, except version 4.)

To continue along with your vehicle analogy: You now have a corvette loaded with gas and you want to take it to the track for some performance testing. You're probably going to want to learn how to drive it properly and safely before doing so, eh? (In other words: get those books. No one is going to be able to get you up to speed on how to admin a ftp server until you have the basics and beyond learned.)