Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, Its been several days that i wanted to set up a LAMP server, but havnt got the time. since im free now i have the time, and i have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

LAMP setup

Hi,
    Its been several days that i wanted to set up a LAMP server, but havnt got the time. since im free now i have the time, and i have attempted several times to get it working. but so far no luck. each time im getting lost at some point.

so, here is my question. which way should i go about to setting it up. I mean, to install apache and mysql when installing the distribution, or installing it seperatly after installing the distribution. i can get html to work with apache, but not php files.

at my college, they are using phptraid in windows to teach us, where eveything is automated. but i use linux at home, so i would really appriciate if someone can guide me on this or point me to a step by step tutorial of setting this up this.

thanks in advance
    Nabaachy

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You need to let us know which Linux Distribution you are using and what steps you have taken so far.

Linux Newbie
    I forgot to mention the most important part
    im using fedora 7. i installed apache and mysql when installing fedora, however, when php didnt work, i removed apache and mysql, and compiled from source with php. im stuck there now.
    i followed this tutorial LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) HOWTO: Installing MySQL and Apache with PHP support on Linux.
    but still its not working. thanks for the reply.

Nabaachy.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    On Fedora setting up amp is pretty straight forward. All you need to do is install apache, php, mysql and php-mysql. What exactly did not work when you use Fedora own packages?

Linux Newbie
    What i did was, i installled apache and mysql when installing fedora. after that i installed php, and tried to view a php file after puting it var/www/html. maybe this is the problem. do i have to put thoe files to another folder?

i have download ubuntu server, but didnt install yet. but i would like to use fedora. thanks for helping me out.

Nabaachy

I don't know if you did this, but did you load the php module in the apache modules file? Also, i think php files need to be executable.

Linux Newbie
    hi,
    i did put the php extention in the apache module, if thats what you mean. actually, thats where im lost. between php and apache. can you please eloborate more on php files being executables? or a step by step tutorial link will do. thanks for the reply

Nabaachy

I think this guide may help you. Take a look at the AMP section.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks, i will give it a go, but i have to back up my data first. i also think i need a fresh install, coz i have tweaked everything and dont know where they are and how to undo them.

What I usually do before editing any files is backup all the originals and any working configs that I may have changed. This makes it easy to revert back or start from scratch if something goes wrong. You ought to do something similar especially if you are going to be running server type apps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast