Find the answer to your Linux question:
Whenever i try to start apache with apachectl start, i get the following: -bash-2.05b# apachectl start perl: warning: Setting locale failed. perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings: LANGUAGE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Perl Craziness

Whenever i try to start apache with apachectl start, i get the following:

-bash-2.05b# apachectl start
    perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
    perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
    LANGUAGE = (unset),
    LC_ALL = "en_US",
    LC_CTYPE = "ISO_8859_15",
    LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
    perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
    -bash-2.05b#

now, following the 'quick fix' listed in man perllocale, i changed LC_ALL to C, the standard default language, then i got no error, but apache wouldn't start:

-bash-2.05b# apachectl start
    Starting httpd
    -bash-2.05b# apachectl status
    host not found
    -bash-2.05b# apachectl stop
    httpd (no pid file) not running

what gives? any ideas?

(also, the system clock is 4 hours off. which is odd, because i live in -6 gmt.. so where'd the 4 come from?)

Just Joined!
    after slaving away on it for a little while longer, i put in a support ticket with my host (theplanet) and they reccomended a backup and reload of the os (or admin work for $75 an hour).

Apparently the problem went much deeper than i ever expected, causing apache and protfp to die, and (here's the kicker) the computer stopped recognizing localhost as 127.0.0.1... just said could not be found.

moral of the story: rpm -i --nodeps is a terrible idea unless you know for sure* you have the deps installed in non-rpm form.

*101% sure that they are. i was only 100% sure.

for all you newbies out there, when you first set up your server, decide right away whether you want to use rpms or not... probably the easiest way to make sure funny things like this dont happen, and that your customers aren't putting a bounty on your head.

afm
    Just Joined!
    You system is missing locale files for the default locale (en_US).

Perl is just telling that -- it's not causing the error

The correct solution is to install locale files for the en_US locale, or not set any locale variable at all. Either cases you should consult your distro documentation to know how to do it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

rtfm

you and i would think so, but we'd be wrong. i installed them, and no soap. it's moot now, really. thanks for your help though

*edit*

also, i tried to do it with no locale, actually, i set the locale to "c" it looked like it worked.. but alas it really didn't.