Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi frens of the forum,I am a system administrator newly appointed to maintain a UBUNTU Server which is used for a continous research in our university and till date every ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu Server Making Continous Beep Sound...(urgent Pls Help)...

Hi frens of the forum,I am a system administrator newly appointed to maintain a UBUNTU Server which is used for a continous research in our university and till date every thing went well but suddenly since 2 days it is making a loud continous beep sound and i tried restarting the server and configured the drives the sound stopped and after a couple of hours it started again and the whole hard disk in the server is divided into 2 parts and both the drives are shared and when i face this beep sound problem one of the drives is completely functional and the other is not accesible.....
    pls pls ..kindly tell me a possible reason and a solution for my problem...

oz
    forum.guy
    It sounds like it might be an alarm. If your CPU is overheating, it could be an alarm warning you of the problem. Check your CPU temp and make sure it's operating with the proper range. Check all fans inside case to make certain they are working and air flow isn't hindered in some way.

Faulty memory modules can cause continuous beeps. Do some memory tests to see if there are problems there. Maybe substitute some known good RAM modules for the possibly faulty ones. Make sure all the modules are properly seated. Remove some modules if possible to see if the beeping stops.

It's possibly a faulty motherboard.

Keyboards can sometimes cause continuous beeping. Substitute a known good keyboard to see if the beeping stops.

Is the beep coming from a speaker, or from within the computer case?
    oz

Just Joined!

thnx a lot..

the beep sound is coming from the inside of the case and when this happens as i told u one of the 2 drives is not working and the other is functional,if there was a keyboard conflict or if there was a problem with air circulation the whole server should act weirdly,but thats not happening,is it becoz of any hard disk failure,are there chances of getting such beep sound when there a problem with hard disk?but dont no why the beep sound is not occurring as soon as we restart the server and its getting started after few hours of operation...

oz
    forum.guy
    There are lots of places the problem could be, including an overheating hard drive, or even a video problem. It does sound heat related since it takes a while for the problem to reappear.

The best thing to do is probably to start eliminating the possibilities. The substitution of known good parts is usually the best option, if you have the spare parts available.
    oz

depending on the type of hardware, your raid controller could be letting you know its on the way out.

This sounds a lot more hardware related though then ubuntu related. With a drive dying after a certain amount of time I would lean towards the raid controller (unless you are using software raid) or the mobo. also the

I've had this problem more than once. Something is definitely going to break on your machine. Could be a drive, could be a processor. None the less I suggest you find out which piece of hardware it is and fix it. Untill then to stop the beep you can kill the syslogd pid. DO NOT kill it and forget about it!