Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need a program that will run certain scripts/programs depending on contents of the email. Example: I send an email to statusbot@mydomain.com with the body saying space . The email ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smart email bot?

I need a program that will run certain scripts/programs depending on contents of the email.

Example:

I send an email to statusbot@mydomain.com with the body saying space. The email bot then runs this bash script:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

#Percent of space used
    pct_used=$(df -h | grep hda1 | grep  -o [0-9][0-9]'%'| tr -d '%')

#Gigabytes free
    gb_free=$(df -h | grep hda1 | egrep -o '([0-9].?[0-9]?G)( {2})[0-9][0-9]?[0-9]?%' | sed -n 's/[0-9][0-9]%//p' | tr -d G | tr -d " ")

echo "Disk '/dev/hda1' is $pct_used% full with "$gb_free"GB's of unused space." > _spacemail.txt
    mail -s "Hard Drive Space Alert" statusbot@mydomain.com  mycell@cellprovider.com < _spacemail.txt
    rm -f _spacemail.txt

So I need the bot to interpret the contents of the email, and run the needed script. This system is going to be used by my cellphone, allowing me to keep track of my server while away from an internet source. I would rather the email bot be able to run a script, then reply with the output, which would allow me to use a cellphone other than my own, but the above scheme would be much easier to implement. So if anyone can think of how to auto-reply with a scripts output, that would work too.

Is this possible?

Just Joined!
    Anyone? I've been searching on my own and I still can't find anything.

Linux Newbie
    Hi,
    Threre is a web site at bots.htm: (`.(`. Searching Bots .).) - which shows you the code for bots to read pages and extract information, which you can use. Perhaps you can modify one to suit your needs. Many of them use Perl which is ideal for then running a script.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by wowbag1 View Post
    Hi,
    Threre is a web site at bots.htm: (`.(`. Searching Bots .).) - which shows you the code for bots to read pages and extract information, which you can use. Perhaps you can modify one to suit your needs. Many of them use Perl which is ideal for then running a script.
    Now that I think about it I'm sure I can write a simple bash script that would serve my purposes, all I need to know is how to get the contents of them email. I've tried using /bin/mail but I can't figure out how to operate it form a script.

Linux Newbie
    I have been looking into MUTT - text based e-mail reader editor etc.
    MUTT supports regular expressions pattern matching, and many other things. It interfaces with Mozilla as well. Here is a link:
    The Mutt E-Mail Client

Just Joined!
    Well here's what I did:

created a new user named statusbot
    created a file name .forward in statusbot's hom dir with this in it:
    Code:
    /home/statusbot/mailmon/mail.txt,"|/home/statusbot/mailmon/mailmon.sh"
    mailmon.sh contains this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    dPATH=/home/statusbot/mailmon
    for line in `cat $dPATH/mail.txt`
    do
            from=$(cat $dPATH/mail.txt | grep From: | grep -v Message-ID | grep -v Return-Path:| egrep "[a-zA-Z0-9_.-]+@([a-zA-Z0-9-]+\.){1,}([a-z]){2,4}" -o|grep -v statusbot)
            case $line in

uptime|Uptime )
                    UP=$(uptime | egrep "([0-9][0-9]:?){3}.up.[0-9]{1,4}.days?" -o)
                    echo $UP > $dPATH/out.txt
                    ;;

speed|Speed )
                    curl http://router:rangers@192.168.2.1:8000/speed.cgi -s -o $dPATH/rawpage.tmp
                    up=$(cat $dPATH/rawpage.tmp |grep \<h3\> | sed -n 's/<h3>//p' | sed -n 's/<\/h3>//p' | grep Up)
                    down=$(cat $dPATH/rawpage.tmp |grep \<h3\> | sed -n 's/<h3>//p' | sed -n 's/<\/h3>//p' | grep Down)
                    rm $dPATH/rawpage.tmp -f
                    echo -e "$down\n$up" > $dPATH/out.txt
                    ;;

"hi" ) echo "Why hello to you too" > $dPATH/out.txt
                    ;;

esac
    done
    mail statusbot@kylesplace.org $from < $dPATH/out.txt
    rm -f $dPATH/out.txt
    rm -f $dPATH/mail.txt
    echo done
    exit 0
    Than I can just keeps adding cases to suit my needs. Works perfect for me.