Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, Server: Ubuntu 7.04 server amd64 SquirrelMail 1.4.11 Workstation Ubuntu 7.04 desktop Evolution 2.10.1 IIRC before installed SM the workstation can send/receive mail on Evolution via the Server w/o ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Evolution unable to send mail

Hi folks,

Server:
    Ubuntu 7.04 server amd64
    SquirrelMail 1.4.11

Workstation
    Ubuntu 7.04 desktop
    Evolution 2.10.1

IIRC before installed SM the workstation can send/receive mail on Evolution via the Server w/o problem.

SM is working w/o problem. Just discovered Evolution can receive mails but can't send mails. With the same password it can't authenticate to send mails, always complaining "Unable to authenticate to SMTP server. Bad authentication response from server". However the same password works to login SM.

Pls advise where to check and how to fix the problem. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

When you get into Evolutions smtp (Edit>Preferences>Mail Accounts>Edit>Sending Mail) settings, there is an option you can click to check for supported password login types, have you tried clicking that to check for suppported logins?
    EDIT: Are you using Comcast? See this link.
    Slashdot - Firehose
    JoeRandomHacker writes "Comcast has long blocked outgoing traffic on port 25, forcing users to go through their mail servers, on the grounds that it causes too much spam, but allowed incoming traffic on port 25 for those wishing direct email delivery. Today I found that even port 25 on their mail servers was rejecting traffic, and no incoming mail has gotten through. Online chat with Comcast customer support indicates that this is a new policy, and all users are forced to go through port 587 and use authentication for email. I didn't get a specific answer on incoming email.
    So much for having my own private webmail (via Squirrelmail), free from the control of corporate giants. Time to see if Verizon can do better over FIOS."
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 01-20-2008 at 08:00 AM. Reason: More info
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    When you get into Evolutions smtp (Edit>Preferences>Mail Accounts>Edit>Sending Mail) settings, there is an option you can click to check for supported password login types, have you tried clicking that to check for suppported logins?
    Yes. I tried it several times. It supports both "Plain" and "login". I also tried both.

EDIT: Are you using Comcast? See this link.
    Slashdot - Firehose
    Comcast? What is it for?

$ apt-cache policy comcast
    W: Unable to locate package comcast.

Just discovered the blockage of outgoing traffic on port 25 during installing Evolution on Ubuntu 7.10 desktop amd64. Then I reconnected another HD on the same box which runs Ubuntu 7.04 desktop. The Evolution on the latter OS ran perfect w/o problem before. Now it can download mails on the server but can't send mails, always complaining "Unable to authenticate to SMTP server. Bad authentication response from server".

What I have done on the Mail Server were;

1)
    Installed SM, the webmail

2)
    Configuring CentOS 5 (Guest OS) running on VMWare. CentOS can browse Internet BUT Internet can't get into CenOS.

I'm still trying to solve this problem.

B.R.
    satimis

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Comcast is an Internet service provider.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Comcast is an Internet service provider.
    No, not using this ISP

satimis