Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am currently using Startlogic for my hosting and they are just terrible anyways I have bellsouth DSL and I own a computer company so building a computer is fine, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I want to host my own websites

I am currently using Startlogic for my hosting and they are just terrible

anyways I have bellsouth DSL and I own a computer company so building a computer is fine, I have always been interested in Linux but haven't made the leap yet. I currently have 10 websites and 10 more coming can you give me a brief description of what I need in general to get started. is the DSL going to work? and how my servers am I going to need. thanks in advanced.

depends what your upload speed is on your DSL and your expected amount of traffic, if you expect a lot of traffic you need a high upload

Just Joined!

Hi I need help

What is the perfect partition for a web server I have a 500G hard drive also I am having trouble setting up raid 1.

thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    thats difficult to say, what kind of website are you going to have, is it going to have lots of large files for downloading? you don't need much space for a web site, it just depends on the amount of content you are going to be putting on it. As far as the raid 1 goes, i don't know much about software raid but i do know that in a hardware raid you will need 2 physical disks to complete such a configuration, maybe in software raid it is otherwise, but i would highly doubt that you can have any raid configuration with a single disk, someone can correct me if i'm wrong

Just Joined!
    Im going to be hosting between 10- 20 sites some shopping carts some info sites

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by affinity07 View Post
    What is the perfect partition for a web server I have a 500G hard drive also I am having trouble setting up raid 1.

thanks
    How do you plan on setting up that Raid1? I am on the same page as coopstah13. I don't know much about software raid, but the term raid is redundant array of independent discs. I am not sure how you set up one disc with raid. As for the web server partition I would say 50G would be sufficent, but if you want to be sure, or making room for expanding I go with a little more like 100.

Quote Originally Posted by affinity07 View Post
    What is the perfect partition for a web server I have a 500G
    There is no "perfect" partition setup. It all depends on what you will be doing, now and in the future. However, a decent setup would be something along these lines:

/ 1024MB
    /boot 128MB
    /var 1024MB
    /tmp 1024MB
    /usr 100GB
    /home the rest less swap
    swap RAM x 1.5
    Linux user 439038 | Ubuntu user 20892