Find the answer to your Linux question:
so, ive got 2003 server and network security class this semester. im about to finish up a pc ive been modding, old amd thunderbird, 256 MB ram. have to ebay ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

few server questions

so, ive got 2003 server and network security class this semester.

im about to finish up a pc ive been modding, old amd thunderbird, 256 MB ram. have to ebay a mbd. got it for free mbd was shot.

anyways, i want to put some form of linux on it and run it as a server. this way i can compare/contrast linux with 2003 and such.

i was wondering if anyone would recommend a few distros for me to try.
    i need something kind of newb friendly, debian based wouldn't hurt as im used to ubuntu and mint.
    i wouldnt mind trying a few in virtual box, or on my little partition i have for a third OS.
    i was already planning to give centOS a little run and see how it does.

and one more thing
    if i set up a server, could i completely monitor specific computers on a network? like all inbound, and outbound internet traffic on a specific IP address or something like that?

thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by phantommaggot View Post
    i was wondering if anyone would recommend a few distros for me to try.
    While you wait for some recommendations to come in, be sure and check the following link for favorite server distro as voted by current LF members:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...rs-2008-a.html
    oz

To be perfectly honest, you may want to just to do Debian Etch. It obviously meets your debian-like requirement and it is one of the more "universal" (if I dare use that word in a linux forum) distros so your experience will apply in many corporate/large network situations.

Shameless plug: Get Gentoo.
    Gentoo Linux -- Where to Get Gentoo Linux

if i set up a server, could i completely monitor specific computers on a network? like all inbound, and outbound internet traffic on a specific IP address or something like that?
    Depends on how you set up your server/network. If you set up your server box to do your routing then it shouldn't be too tough to do some extra logging.
    Last edited by sdimhoff; 01-31-2008 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Second question
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    ive been late on replying to this, ive been busy in class and such

ok so..

Debian it is

what would i need to install to get my server monitoring anything (including keystrokes if possible ) on a given pc connected to the network. by ip or name would be nice.

(if any of that is possible)

and what do i use for DNS
    (right now in 2003 server class were doing DNS stuff so id like to be able to compare)