Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys, These has been a problem ever since I went to Debian (ages ago!) The issue is, with my webserver, all my new uploads need CHMODing to make them ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

all new uploads need CHMODing

Hi Guys,

These has been a problem ever since I went to Debian (ages ago!) The issue is, with my webserver, all my new uploads need CHMODing to make them accessible from the web.

This was fine when it was just me and a few others, but we're starting to rent out our space to people and this is going to be a problem.

Either create a cron to CHMOD every so often, or fix this issue.

Is there way I can auto set permissions or is my config wrong?

Cheers,

Just Joined!
    I think the problem is because the uploaded file obviously do not have persmssions embedded with them. If you are transferring from one place I know that you can store permissions when tarring and so altough soory I do not know how offhand

What you can do is set you umask and to a setting you want your new files to have realtive permissions. I don't know if this effects files that are uploaded try it out.

Another option but I do not suggest it is to increase the power to apache in sense of permissions but I do suggest it. If you want to risk this you can associate apache with a group who has higher permssions but as I said I do not suggest it as it may lead to potential security holes. (Assuming you are using apache)

Hope this gets you started towards a solution
    Aaron