Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone, I have a question regarding changing the websites domain name . I have a website with domain name abc.edu and I want to change it to xyz.edu. .Can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Changing Websites Domain Name

Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding changing the websites domain name . I have a website with domain name abc.edu and I want to change it to xyz.edu. .Can anyone tell me how I can make this change.The webiste Resides on a Redhat Server.Please help me in this regard.

Thanks and Regards .
    Last edited by bigtomrodney; 02-01-2008 at 07:33 AM.

You will be able to change your domain name when you purchase the new domain. This is a DNS issue which you can manage with your domain vendor and has no bearing on the type of server you are using.

Just Joined!
    The site i am talking about is my departments webiste and my website resides on a Redhat server which i take care of .My departments name changed and now i have to change the name of the website .Do i have to use the 301 Redirect or is there a way in which i can Change the Domain name of a website. Thanks and Regards.

I see this as having 3 options, setup your dns so both names resolve to the same address, then use name based virtual hosts (google it) and have the old name go to a folder that contains an html file that says update your bookmarks with this link, and then the new name will have another virtual host that goes to your site

2nd method, using the same method as above, for the old site virtual host use a redirect match apache redirectmatch - Google Search

3rd method, make both names resolve to the same ip and then send an email saying its changed, both names go to the same site so your good either way

I like option 1 because they get a visual that the name has changed