Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear All, We have samba as domain for XP and 2000 Clients. We use one account(say XXXX) to update windows and antivirus. Now the problem is if we dont add ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba Domain with XP Client

Dear All,

We have samba as domain for XP and 2000 Clients.

We use one account(say XXXX) to update windows and antivirus. Now the problem is if we dont add the account in local administrator group manually we are unable to update the PC's automatically.

And we are having brances all over country (UAE).

Is there any way to add XXXX account automatically to local administrator group of each client PC through Samba Server.

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Ali

I don't know of any way to do this sort of task remotely (especially considering you are not connecting to a user account account). If I'm understanding your question correctly, you are asking how to get a self-escalation of privileges from user up to administrator. Even if you could enable this type of option, I don't think you would want it due to the severe security issues.

FYI, there are a lot of smart people in these forums who may be able to help out, but your question is more of a Windows issue than a samba issue. Therefore, if you don't get much of a response here you may want to search out windows specific help.
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

Just Joined!
    I'm pretty sure that windows has built in accounts for this type of thing, they are normally hidden for obvious reasons, you would have to ask the microsoft support for information about this.

I have tons of experience with Samba, its not easy to get it to do Server to Client configs, the way windows server would do it, perhaps you need to find another way to do the update, for example download the update files to your server, and have each client run the files during logon and logoff, using scripts.