Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone. I have been struggling to setup an email server on my Ubuntu 7.10 machine. I have read posts about Postfix config on Ubuntu forum but it is just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Postfix setup

Hello everyone. I have been struggling to setup an email server on my Ubuntu 7.10 machine. I have read posts about Postfix config on Ubuntu forum but it is just going above my head. I am giving below my requirements and I hope someone can give me detailed instructions.

1) I have setup Ubuntu desktop 7.10 on a network with 98/XP machines. WORKGROUP is "Astro". Samba is installed and running as well as Firestarter. I have a broadband internet connection on this and static IP of the machine is 192.168.0.25, subnet 255.255.255.0. Machine name is also Ubuntu.
    2) There are 98/XP machines on the network with static IP's from 192.168.0.11 to 192.168.0.20 but no internet connection. Some computer names are admin( Ip 11), production (ip 12), purchase (ip 13), sales (ip 14)
    3) I own a domain, say www.abc.com. It has a email id info@abc.com, which I can access from Evolution on my Ubuntu machine if I put the server settings : POP3 server mail.abc.com : SMTP server mail.abc.com : username : info@abc.com : password : info ; my outgoing server needs authentication. Ports are 25 and 110.
    4) I want to setup the same local domain abc.com and create users like info, admin, sales, purchase, production so that the 98/XP machines can send messeges to each other using Outlook Express / Evolution, through the Ubuntu machine
    5) I also want to be able to give the purchase and sales machines the ability to send mails to the internet through the Ubuntu machine but the mail should appear as being sent from info@abc.com so that the replies are all received on Ubuntu machine only. If possible, any mail sent by these machines to the internet should have a copy automatically sent to info@abc.com as local mail.
    6) I have installed / uninstalled Postfix ; Exim but just not able to understand.
    7) I have done this thing successfully before on an XP machine using MailEnable but there was a GUI and here in Ubuntu there is none. I am totally clueless.

Can anyone give me detailed steps for this please, what else do I need to install and how to configure. I have been struggling with this for the past 2 weeks. I am not able to understand the configuration at all. Please help me out.

have you looked at any guides like this or similar
    ubuntu postfix setup - Google Search

maybe it would help if you posted what guide you are looking at and what point is stopping or confusing you.

Just Joined!

Postfix

Thanks for the reply. I am not a computer techie. I do understand things by logic but somehow the Postfix configuration is something I am not able to understand. Maybe if I read for many days than I may be able to understand.
    I have done this kind of a setup in an only Windows Network by installing MailEnable on XP. The GUI is easy to understand and configure. But here I just cant understand the commands.
    I am totally new to Linux and have installed only in November. I have got a lot of help from forums and have executed many things by the commands given in the posts. However I dont find any useful Postfix posts which give detailed instructions. Also it seemd much more difficut to configure than other things in Ubuntu. So I hoped that If I gave exactly what I wanted I would get some detailed instructions.

IMO ubuntu is one of the more easier to use linux distro's.

as far as a gui for postfix, the best for me is webmin, which is a web based admin interface for your entire system.

The link I gave above is a google search for setting up postfix on ubuntu and the first 2 links are step by step instructions for ubuntu and both looked to be pretty good guides.

With the tons of guides out there I think it is usually more helpful to try things first on your on and then ask for help on specific problems.

I think this particular section is for server-help and not server-tell-me-every-step, but that could just be me.

If you try either of the step by step guides I linked to above and have problems, please report back at one point you are having problem because I really like helping people but you need to try some things first.

also, if you think postfix is confusing you should probably stay away from other mta's, exim, qmail, and sendmail to a degree. postfix is one of the most straight forward mta's IMO.