Find the answer to your Linux question:
pure-ftpd doesn't allow me to change chmod. i can delete the file, but not change it's chmod, it says "Operation not permitted" on "SITE chmod 664 bla2" command, when bla2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

site chmod problem in ftp

pure-ftpd doesn't allow me to change chmod.

i can delete the file, but not change it's chmod, it says "Operation not permitted" on "SITE chmod 664 bla2" command, when bla2 file is "-rwxrwxr-- www-data www-data" and i'm authorized through mysql as being www-data group (and some other user).

i know why it allows me to delete it - because i'm owner of the upper directory. but if i'm the group member, and the file has rwxrwx--- and is same group as i, why it doesn't allow me to change it's chmod ?

and how can i bypass it ?

i have multi-user box (many many many users) and i wan't them to be able to change chmod of their files, that were created through PHP (that's why files are www-data owner, not the user owner)

Linux Newbie
    pure-ftpd can disable chmod command so in the configuration file it needs to be set allowed.
    compiled into pure-ftpd is an extension to ftp which may not have happened, if compilation set to minimal it would not be.
    link to docs is:
    http://download.pureftpd.org/pub/pure-ftpd/doc/README

hope this may help