Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a samba PDC and have about 8 XP clients and an Ubuntu client. I'm trying to get them all to join the domain but neither will. First ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

connecting to domain controlled by Samba

Hi,
    I have a samba PDC and have about 8 XP clients and an Ubuntu client. I'm trying to get them all to join the domain but neither will. First off, the XP machines:
    I go to join the domain the usual way, it prompts for username/password with permission to join the domain and comes up with a message 'Welcome to the domain'. After restarting i get the logon screen and select to login to the domain but after putting the correct username/password in it shows an error message saying the Server may be offline or unavailable or there is no machine account. There is definitely a machine account on the Samba server, it is not this. the logfile from /var/log/samba: for the client show lots of 'Can't become connected user' messages. I can post the whole thing if requested.

On the ubuntu client, this is what i get:

colin@cycle-12:~$ sudo net join -W CYSOL -U frc
    [sudo] password for colin:
    Connection failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
    Password:
    Could not connect to server SRV-01
    The username or password was not correct.
    Connection failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

both machines definitely have machine accounts on samba.
    Any ideas would be much appreciated

thanks in advance

Some more info from the samba log account of the XP client i'm currently using (I've not posted all of it, just some lines of interest):

libsmb/ntlm_check.c:ntlm_password_check(344)
    ntlm_password_check: NT MD4 password check failed for user colin

check_winbind_security: Not using winbind, requested domain [CYSOL] was for this SAM.
    auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(319)
    check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [Colin] -> [Colin] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
    smbd/error.c:error_packet(146)
    check_ntlm_password: Checking password for unmapped user []\[]@[CYCLE-13] with the new password interface
    [2008/02/14 13:09:09, 3] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(224)
    check_ntlm_password: mapped user is: [CYSOL]\[]@[CYCLE-13]
    [2008/02/14 13:12:58, 3] smbd/error.c:error_packet(146)
    error packet at smbd/sesssetup.c(99) cmd=115 (SMBsesssetupX) NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE