Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, Ubuntu 7.04 server amd64 Postfix 2.3.8 SquirrelMail version 1.4.11 I discovered the cause of the non-arrival of incoming mails to users. The mails were not rejected. Users have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

No new mails coming

Hi folks,

Ubuntu 7.04 server amd64
    Postfix 2.3.8
    SquirrelMail version 1.4.11

I discovered the cause of the non-arrival of incoming mails to users. The mails were not rejected.

Users have their mailbox on $HOME/Maildir. Addtionally they have another mail_files on;

$ ls /var/mail/
    Maildir user1 user2 user3 user4 etc.

$ ls /var/mail/Maildir/
    cur new tmp

/var/mail/Maildir/cur and /tmp are empty
    /var/mail/Maildir/new having spam mails

Each time when new mails arrive the same will be added on their mail-files on /var/mail. For such a reason the new mails never arrive on $HOME/Maildir.

When creating a new account with;

$ sudo useradd -m -s /bin/bash user100

New mail box will be created on user's $HOME/Maildir automatically. However the first new mail to user100 will create a new mail_file on /var/mail/user100. All later mails to user100 will be added on /var/mail/user100 (the mail_file)

Please advise where shall I check and how to fix this problem. I don't need mail_files. I need all incoming mails delivered on respective $HOME/Maildir. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

U need mail files in /var/mail so user can read / fetch their own mails from any mail clients...it's ok when all new mails goes to mail files. What you have to do now, configure & point your mail client to read mails from /var/mail location...

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by athlon_crazy View Post
    U need mail files in /var/mail so user can read / fetch their own mails from any mail clients...it's ok when all new mails goes to mail files. What you have to do now, configure & point your mail client to read mails from /var/mail location...
    Thanks for your advice.

Users' mail-files are already there. All new mails wlll be added to respective mail-files which arrangement is NOT my orginal setup. My previous setup was all incoming mails will be delivered to respective Maildir separatedly not being added together in a single file.

My fix is creating /etc/procmailrc and addiding following 3 lines on it;
    Code:
    DROPPRIVS=YES 
    ORGMAIL=$HOME/Maildir/ 
    DEFAULT=$ORGMAIL
    in parallel retaining the line;
    Code:
    mailbox_command = procmail -a "$EXTENSION"
    on /etc/postfix/main.cf

Now the original setup has been restored. I have no idea how such change was made.

B.R.
    satimis