Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, Can any folk, please, point me where can I find a tutorial/guide for remote admin on Internet. I don't mean headless installation nor via webmin. On co-location remote ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Tutorial/guide on remote admin

Hi folks,

Can any folk, please, point me where can I find a tutorial/guide for remote admin on Internet. I don't mean headless installation nor via webmin.

On co-location remote admin on Internet including upgrading/installing packages becomes necessary rather than taking the server back for maintenance. I have been googling around and discovered lot of technical doc for MS Windows only a few for Linux/Unix.

TIA

B.R.
    satimis

are you looking for ssh or a full desktop? if its ssh thats easy, just open port 22, deny root login, and ssh to your machine. if you mean full desktop you can tunnel vnc thru ssh so unencrypted vnc becomes encrypted.
    How to setup ssh to tunnel VNC traffic throught the Internet

let me know if I missed your point.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jledhead View Post
    are you looking for ssh or a full desktop? if its ssh thats easy, just open port 22, deny root login, and ssh to your machine. if you mean full desktop you can tunnel vnc thru ssh so unencrypted vnc becomes encrypted.
    How to setup ssh to tunnel VNC traffic throught the Internet

let me know if I missed your point.
    Thanks for your advice.

On LAN I have no problem running ssh to remote-admin the server via a workstation.

I'm considering if putting the server co-located. How to run ssh connect the server;

On WAN
    Code:
    $ ssh public_ip
    of the server on co-location
    ???

on /etc/hosts.allow
    Code:
    # Allow these adress to connect via ssh
    sshd: Public_IP of remote PC(workstation)
    ???
    drop other connection. Another consideration if the workstation is running dynamic IP what can I do?

How to make use of VNC to make the connection even more secured?

TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Get free domain such dyndns / no-ip to resolve yor public ip. Don't forget update client for your dynamic ip too..

WAN = ssh domain.no-ip

Make your ssh more secure by permit your ssh connection listening on vpn ip only, deny root access & etc.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by athlon_crazy View Post
    Get free domain such dyndns / no-ip to resolve yor public ip. Don't forget update client for your dynamic ip too..

WAN = ssh domain.no-ip
    Thanks for your advice.

Subdomain on dynamic IP worked for me previously. I tried it about 1 year before.

WAN
    $ ssh server_name (fullname or domain.com)

worked here connecting the server. But port 22 must be forwarded to sever router_ip. Otherwise it can't work.

I think domain on dynamic IP can also work. I'm now running static IP having no way to test.

One side question;
    After the server has been ssh-connected but without X forwarded how to copy files/data back from server to workstation. Server's files/dir are displayed on workstation console. Whether start another console on workstation dragging filesfrom the former console? TIA

Make your ssh more secure by permit your ssh connection listening on vpn ip only, deny root access & etc.
    Could you please provide more detail? TIA

B.R.
    satimis

use scp to copy from your server..

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by athlon_crazy View Post
    use scp to copy from your server..
    I haven't tried before. After a ssh-connection established between workstation and server, can I run scp on remote server copying files back to workstation?

I'll try it later. I'm not on that PCs. Tks

B.R.
    satimis