Find the answer to your Linux question:
Fedora 7 Web Server running Plesk 8.3 control panel. I recently ran yum update to get my server up to speed. It had been a while since I last ran ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

yum update returns named errors...

Fedora 7 Web Server running Plesk 8.3 control panel.

I recently ran yum update to get my server up to speed. It had been a while since I last ran it, so there were quite a few updates. I have had reports from remote users that they sometimes have DNS issues that come and go. I haven't been able to reproduce them myself, so I tallied it up to user error. However, after running yum update I returned a few errors with named, in regards to "caching-nameserver". What exactly is "caching-nameserver" and can anyone help me to understand these errors?

I'm not much of a webserver admin, and the DNS/bind stuff gets a little over my head. I am beginning to worry about my server and it's accessibility now that I have seen these errors.

Can anyone please help to understand these errors and their severity? What can I look into to fix it, is there any troubleshooting I can do?

Thanks so much for your help!

Code:
      Updating  : caching-nameserver           ##################### [ 40/115] 
    /bin/mv: cannot move `/var/named/named.ca' to `/var/named/run-root//var/named/named.ca': No such file or directory
    /bin/mv: cannot stat `/var/named/run-root//var/named/named.ca': No such file or directory
    /bin/mv: cannot move `/var/named/named.ca' to `/var/named/run-root//var/named/named.ca': No such file or directory
    /bin/mv: cannot move `/var/named/named.empty' to `/var/named/run-root//var/named/named.empty': No such file or directory
    /bin/mv: cannot stat `/var/named/run-root//var/named/named.empty': No such file or directory
    /bin/mv: cannot move `/var/named/named.empty' to `/var/named/run-root//var/named/named.empty': No such file or directory
    /bin/mv: cannot move `/var/named/named.localhost' to `/var/named/run-root//var/named/named.localhost': No such file or directory
    /bin/mv: cannot stat `/var/named/run-root//var/named/named.localhost': No such file or directory
    /bin/mv: cannot move `/var/named/named.localhost' to `/var/named/run-root//var/named/named.localhost': No such file or directory
    /bin/mv: cannot move `/var/named/named.loopback' to `/var/named/run-root//var/named/named.loopback': No such file or directory
    /bin/mv: cannot stat `/var/named/run-root//var/named/named.loopback': No such file or directory
    /bin/mv: cannot move `/var/named/named.loopback' to `/var/named/run-root//var/named/named.loopback': No such file or directory
    Stopping named: .[  OK  ]
    Starting named: [  OK  ]

Just Joined!
    When I navigate to /var/named/ and run a ls -la this is the output I receive. Again, not much of a webserver admin, so I am having a bit of trouble deciphering this as well.
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  named   39 2008-02-19 22:03 named.ca -> /var/named/run-root//var/named/named.ca
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  named   42 2008-02-19 22:03 named.empty -> /var/named/run-root//var/named/named.empty
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  named   46 2008-02-19 22:03 named.localhost -> /var/named/run-root//var/named/named.localhost
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  named   45 2008-02-19 22:03 named.loopback -> /var/named/run-root//var/named/named.loopback