Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i have managed to configure a PDC (Primary Domain Controler) under samba all seems to work fine, i have created users and even machin accounts. so i thought i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

PDC under samba

hi i have managed to configure a PDC (Primary Domain Controler) under samba all seems to work fine, i have created users and even machin accounts. so i thought i would test it first of all i booted my windows box into win ME and it loged onto the domain no problems, having done that a was pretty chuffed and thought it was very easy a lot easyer than people hade made it out to be, i was begining to thing that i will be able to start replacing my windows 2003 sever with linux and samba, BUT my usual luck started setting in i knew it was to good to be true nothing goin wrong! i thought i had better try booting up into xp and seeing if that loggeg onto the new samba domain ok i turned it on added it to the domain it even accepted the user name and password i had used to addit to the new domain i hade even created the machine accound on the linux PDC however when i restarted teh xp box and and enterd my domain username and password and clicking on ok i keep getting an error message saying that the domain is either unavailable, down or it cannot find a machine account. Please help this is sending me looney.

thanks

Linux Newbie
    Oke, what you have to do is:

/etc/passwd you add the name of your Windows XP machine

machine$:502:100::/dev/null:/bin/false

you need the dollar sign after the machine name. It indicates that's a machine account.

user1:500:0::/mnt:/bin/bash
    machine1$:501:100::/dev/null:/bin/false
    machine2$:502:100::/dev/null:/bin/false
    machine3$:503:100::/dev/null:/bin/false
    user2:506:0::/mnt/local/SHARED/:/bin/bash
    user3:507:100::/home/users/erwin:/bin/bash
    user4:508:100::/home/users/ineke:/bin/bash
    user5:509:100::/home/users/maikel:/bin/bash
    user6:510:100::/home/users/administrator:/bin/bash
    user7:511:100::/mnt/local/OKE:/bin/bash
    user8:512:100::/mnt/local/OKE:/bin/bash
    user9:513:0::/home/httpd:/bin/bash
    user10:514:100::/home/users/test:/bin/bash

you see, that from 501 to 514 are upfollowing. When you always need to change that number by 1.

When this doesn't work, then can you send me example of your smb conf file so that i see what the problem is.

I'm using Samba also as PDC, i'm using it allready by 3 years, so every question i have an answer for you.
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!

Just Joined!
    This is a known issue with windows XP.

You would have to edit the registry setting "requiresignorseal" and set it to 0. Use regedit to search and modify this.

Without it, you could not login to the domain although you can join the machine without problems.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    thanks gnubee,

i never new that, i thought it was strange is i could log onto the domain using any other version of windows all the way up to 2000, XP was the only one i had trouble with i dont know about longhorn though as that is on one of my windows multi boot machines and didnt boot up into it to test it, thanks again i will have to giv it a go and see if your registry hack will work thanks again

Linux Newbie
    I don't use the registry to join the domain. I never had any problems with it. So without the registry you can also join the domain, and logon to the domain.

Just Joined!
    do you also know a way to get samba to support multiple group/user rights (kinda like windows) so this could also be used by multiple users?
    cause that's something that would be nice to have..

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Arminius
    do you also know a way to get samba to support multiple group/user rights (kinda like windows) so this could also be used by multiple users?
    cause that's something that would be nice to have..
    Check this source for your info about groups and users:

Users and groups[/url]

Just Joined!
    hi i have got it working (he he he), i have fedora installed on my server with samba been a PDC and xp loges onto it , oh well now its time to put all the 100's of gbs worth of data back on it at least it will be worth it in the long run just the other thing is to configer all the other thing my server did befor, im sure i will manage

thanks for all the help you have provided i only hope i will be able to help otheris in the same way you have helped me

Linux Newbie
    sure no problem.

Linux solves problems with us

Microsoft makes problems without us.