Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am setting up my first web server and I need a little bit of help. The issue I am having is that when I try to browse to my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need some web server help

I am setting up my first web server and I need a little bit of help. The issue I am having is that when I try to browse to my webpage via the domain name it goes to my server but it keeps asking for a username/password which my page doesn't ask for. So I am thinking that apache isn't setup correctly. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but if anyone could help me get headed in the correct direction I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Check for a file called .htaccess (with the . at the beginning). It would be in the root directory or the directory you're trying to access.
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    there aren't any .htaccess or .htpasswd files. This site was transferred from another server because I wanted to start hosting it on my own. I know that all of the DNS entries have switched over to my server and I can ping it so I know it is working. All of that is the reason I think it is a configuration error somewhere in apache. I just don't know where to start looking. I read some tutorials online and edited the httpd.conf but it is still angry

Just Joined!
    when I tried to restart apache I got the following error:

x10:/etc# ./init.d/apache2 reload
    Reloading web server config...4581
    apache2: apr_sockaddr_info_get() failed for x10
    apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
    [Wed Feb 27 08:42:47 2008] [warn] NameVirtualHost *:80 has no VirtualHosts
    I'm not really sure how to fix that... But I am googling it now...

the error you posted means apache will still run but that you haven't configured a fqdn.

are you sure there are no htaccess files? the . means they are hidden usually.

go to the directory and do
    ls -a -l
    and see if they are there, the -a shows all files, hidden and other, and the -l shows in list view

Just Joined!
    I had some serious apache configuration issues. I had a guy at work look at it and he helped me get it straightened out. My domain is now back up. Thanks again for trying to help me get it accessible.