Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a question. I know this guy that has a HP Proliant 350 g5 server with Windows XP. I don't think that Linux is on it yet, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Linux Server

Hi,

I have a question. I know this guy that has a HP Proliant 350 g5 server with Windows XP.

I don't think that Linux is on it yet, I am going to check out the setup come this Friday but wanted to ask you guys something.

This guy wants PostgreSQL installed on the server which is database. I was talking to Manchunian and he said that he doesn't believe that I can run Knoppix on the machine, install the database thats that.

He suggested that maybe I can use Puppy on it while running it off of a cd to do what it is I need done.

Any suggestions?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    Hi,

I have a question. I know this guy that has a HP Proliant 350 g5 server with Windows XP.

I don't think that Linux is on it yet, I am going to check out the setup come this Friday but wanted to ask you guys something.

This guy wants PostgreSQL installed on the server which is database. I was talking to Manchunian and he said that he doesn't believe that I can run Knoppix on the machine, install the database thats that.

He suggested that maybe I can use Puppy on it while running it off of a cd to do what it is I need done.

Any suggestions?

you know, until I read this post I thought I was getting the hang of this linux thing..now i is lost

Just Joined!
    I never did meet up with the guy, for one he had to reschedule and so I am waiting for him to call me, if he doesn't its fine. Maybe it will give me time to get more familiar with Linux.

When I posted that post I really didn't know anytihng. I installed Ubuntu 7.10 and have to admit its pertty cool, a few days ago I grabbed Ubuntu 8.04 and started to play around with root/terminal.

From what I am reading I should start using sudo or gksudo instead of root. Which I am fine with. I tried to install postgresql but received some error that a package couldn't be compiled or something to that effect. I have to do more research into error but I am sure I will be fine.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You completely lost me on the first post. Are you trying to install postgresql on the server whilst its running Windows or are you going to remove Windows and install Linux?