Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay... I'm in a bit of snag, I have an old 386 computer with like 30 megs of ram and 2 hard drives which I believe are about 30 megs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

best distro for small server running on low resource machine

Okay... I'm in a bit of snag, I have an old 386 computer with like 30 megs of ram and 2 hard drives which I believe are about 30 megs each... not for sure though... anyways, I am looking to set this up as a server to host my website... I definately want to run apache, mysql, php combo but the only distro I can find that will run a this old of a machine is Damn Small Linux... I know that I can do a hard drive install with DSL but is it possible to install apache and all that with it, or does anybody know of a better distro that would fit my criterea... thank-you all very much, oh by the way, I'm new here... Hello All! :P

Just Joined!
    I just found out slackware will work on this old computer .... yippee

Linux Newbie
    I was about to ask if you'd checked Slackware. Everything you need for a LAMP server is on cd1.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ya... my friend is going to give me an old 6 gig hd so it'll work better and so I can istall the gui since I am not man enough to do it all from the command line lol.

hahah, slack is nice, i got gentoo running on something minscul, i think it was 1.1 g hd, 122mhz and 16 mbram. did a stage 3 install, but i can vim...thats abot all i use it for, but its all good.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    A GUI on a server is sacrelige(sp). Hehe.
    The quickest way to get comfortable with the CLI is to put yourself in a position where you have to use it. I've ended up in that place more often by accident than by design.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Just Joined!
    oh... I just found it it has like 500 megs, so this little problem is void..

Linux Engineer
    you can also look at distrowatch.com ..i would like to say that you need as old linux distro as possible for ur pc!
    <or upgrade this pc!!!>
    Linux For Ever!

i dont think the solution to every problem is upgrade stathisx... (altough 90% of the time, it will fix it) there are distos smaller than 500 if you want this to be something simple, like running vsftpd then you could. There yuo have a ftpsever with 400mb of storage.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333