Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, We have a spare powerconnect server in work and i was looking to set it up as a web server for a company intranet - more to gain ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux web server configuration issue

Hi all,

We have a spare powerconnect server in work and i was looking to set it up as a web server for a company intranet - more to gain experience in configuring a web server than anything else.

I decided to go with Fedora 8 as i'd used fedora previously and followed the LAMP tutorial on HowToForge.

However i've come across a problem which i just can't seem to resolve (after pretty intensive searching). So, i guess this post is in 2 parts.

Firstly, the error i'm getting is with mysql only. The error message is:

ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

I understand this may be a generic error but i'm not sure what other information would be useful.

Secondly, as this is my first web server - have I made the correct choice in terms of linix release or would something like CentOS be more suitable? I'd like to get this right from the start now that i have the chance.

Thanks in advance!

Nick.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I personally would have gone for CentOS if this is an important server. Fedora is a fast paced distro and the life span of a release is shorter than CentOS/RHEL (meaning that in about a year Fedora 8 may not be supported anymore).

As for the mysql issue, can you try
    Code:
    mysql -u root mysql
    If you set a password for the mysql root user, then do
    Code:
    mysql -u root -p mysql

or if you don't know anything about mysql (like me) then use phpmyadmin. phpmyadmin is a web front end for mysql. if you have apache+php working already then just drop the phpmyadmin folder inside your doc root
    phpMyAdmin | MySQL Database Administration Tool | www.phpmyadmin.net

and mysql generally installs with a blank root password.

j1s
    I installed Webadmin on my Ubuntu 7.04 server. With that I can admin the whole server, including MySQL.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nickoed View Post
    Hi all,

We have a spare powerconnect server in work and i was looking to set it up as a web server for a company intranet - more to gain experience in configuring a web server than anything else.

I decided to go with Fedora 8 as i'd used fedora previously and followed the LAMP tutorial on HowToForge.

However i've come across a problem which i just can't seem to resolve (after pretty intensive searching). So, i guess this post is in 2 parts.

Firstly, the error i'm getting is with mysql only. The error message is:

ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

I understand this may be a generic error but i'm not sure what other information would be useful.

Secondly, as this is my first web server - have I made the correct choice in terms of linix release or would something like CentOS be more suitable? I'd like to get this right from the start now that i have the chance.

Thanks in advance!

Nick.
    i used centos and recommend it for the webserver. I can show you some good tutorials on it.
    mysql comes set up with a fully priveledged user (2 of them) with no password. You need to delete the test database and add passwords as per mysql docs.

this is one of the security issues with some programs. This is a high risk issue, read the mysql manual to deal with it right away.