Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am very new to Linux and I am trying to learn more about it so I dont have to depend on others to fix my server when it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Logging into Root

Hello, I am very new to Linux and I am trying to learn more about it so I dont have to depend on others to fix my server when it needs work.

I am running a small webserver as a hobby and it has CentOS on it and Plesk as a control panel.

I had this guy work on an email problem and a crash I had back in Oct (I had been in the hospital with Leukemia from March to Oct). My server crashed while I was in the hospital so he looked at it and when he was working on it he changed my Plesk admin password but he gave it to me.

Now I need to upgrade the OS on the server (it has CentOS 3.6 now and he is going to upgrade it to 5.1) and he dont remember the root password. Now I do remember how to get into the server using Putty. and the first user name and password that I had my buddy set work but when I try to su root I get that the password is wrong.

Is there anyway I can find this password out or reset it so he can complete this upgrade.

Im sure he knows but I want to know as well and as of right now I cant get into my Plesk because there is an eror so Im not sure he was the best person for me to pick to upgrade my server.

Quote Originally Posted by Diveanx View Post
    the first user name and password that I had my buddy set work but when I try to su root I get that the password is wrong.
    Is this user setup in the sudo.conf file with full access?
    If so then he should be able to change the root password.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    I have no clue. Like I said I am new to Linux and I do not know any commands accept for the ones to get into the server that were given to me using Putty so that is my extent of knowledge.

'sudo bash'

If this user is setup to have sudo rights then this will start a bash shell with root privileges depending on how sudoers was seup.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the advice, I tried that and it asks for a password as well. I tried my old one but it does not work

You are going to need someone with phycial access to the box to reset the pasword for you then. They are going to have to boot up in single user mode and reset the password.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help. We got it. He found the password he had set it to finally.

Good to hear. Now make it something that you will remember.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted