Find the answer to your Linux question:
First: I'm really still fairly new to Linux, especially in the area of e-mail servers. I'm running a Fedora box that I have configured as an e-mail server. I would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

E-mail Problem: Fedora, Postfix, Dovecot, Telnet 25

First: I'm really still fairly new to Linux, especially in the area of e-mail servers.

I'm running a Fedora box that I have configured as an e-mail server. I would like users to be able to both send and receive messages via this box using Postfix and Dovecot.

PROBLEM:

When I try to telnet to the box internally (from 192.168.0.100 TO 192.168.0.3) on port 25 it gives me the error:

Connecting to 192.168.0.3... Could not open connection to the host, on port 25: Connection failed.

I AM able to telnet to other ports (110, 80, 81, etc.).

When I issue the nmap command on my linux box it responds with:

PORT STATE SERVICE
    21/TCP open ftp
    22/tcp open ftp
    25/tcp open smtp
    53/tcp open domain
    80/tcp open http
    81/tcp open hosts2-ns
    110/tcp open pop3
    143/tcp open imap
    443/tcp open https
    993/tcp open imaps
    995/tcp open pop3s
    3306/tcp open mysql

It *looks* like port 25 is open in the firewall... so I'm not sure why a telnet connection is being refused. Using real trials, I've discovered I am able to log into the box via POP using Outlook (or any other client) but the box is unable to receive e-mails.

I'm assuming something is wrong with the Postfix configuration but I can't for the life of me figure out what... any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

try telnet from the server itself(192.168.0.3)! Can U?

Just Joined!

Resolved

Thanks for the reply Athlon_crazy... I discovered what the problem was.

The following lines were missing from my postfix main.cf file. I'm not sure why I couldn't telnet to 25 without these lines, but the minute I put them in and restarted postfix it began working.

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject _unauth_destination

and

inet_interfaces = all

Your interest in helping newer linux users like myself is admirable.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close