Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Built a server to use as a web server. Uses a supermicro board that supports their software and hardware for management and power rebooting (though not kvm) My main ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Remote Reboot questions

Hi,
    Built a server to use as a web server.
    Uses a supermicro board that supports their software and hardware for management and power rebooting (though not kvm)

My main purpose is for remote reboot, but the software and hardware supermicor sells (cheap by the way) has a lot of monitoring stuff on it too.

1- have you ever used this type of remote reboot for just one server
    2- were you able to access the control software easily via the web or do you need to actually KVM to see it?
    3- this use the same eth port and not need anything extra?

Just not sure if I should get some big unit or install the card on the supermicro's site. The big unit is way expensive, the card is like 50 bucks. I just want to be able to power cycle it.

thanks for any experience you want to part with on this..

update: the item I appear to be interested in is AOC-SIMLC, from supermicro. This does not support the KVM.

All teh tech notes and manual talk about accessing it from another computer 'on the network' and I am thinking that it may not be reachable via shell from the 'web'...anyone use this type of thing for their webserver?
    http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/AOC-SIMLC.pdf

1) Use a real server like an HP Proliant, or a semi-real server like a Dell PowerEdge. Both have integrated management cards that will let you access the console and powercycle independant of the OS.

2) Use a switchable PDU like an APC 7900.

If your server panics and "hangs", there is no software in the world that is going to help you, including drivers for some card that's installed under the OS.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
    1) Use a real server like an HP Proliant, or a semi-real server like a Dell PowerEdge. Both have integrated management cards that will let you access the console and powercycle independant of the OS.

The one I list goes with my server board and is independent and is an integrated management card. It is a server motherboard especially built for this. I just have never used anything like it and need repsonses from people who have.

2) Use a switchable PDU like an APC 7900.

so you would suggest outside unit for the one server and not use an integrated management card?

If your server panics and "hangs", there is no software in the world that is going to help you, including drivers for some card that's installed under the OS.

Thanks for the post, I am still so on the fence as to the right thing to do here.