Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, So I have a new job and I'm faced with the following dilemma: I want to set up a new web site which will eventually completely replace the one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Moving from MS to Linux Server

Hi,
    So I have a new job and I'm faced with the following dilemma:
    I want to set up a new web site which will eventually completely replace the one we have now. I want to use a Linux/Apache combination, as apposed to our current system using Microsoft asp and .net stuff.

Right now we have 2 servers. One new file server and one old web-server with Microsoft Server on it. So my question is, how can I get the new site up and running alongside our current one without purchasing a new server? Eventually I'd like to remove everything from the MS server, but we need it at the moment until all the applications running on it can be rewritten.

Any suggestions?

Ok you could install windows Virtual Server 2006 or later plus the Linux additions. This used to be a FREE donwload from Microsoft

You will nede Windows server 2003 or above on you exisiting server

You can then load Redhat Enterpise 3 or 5 ontop of the virtual server with no problems.

Make sure you have plenty of physical memory free before you do this probably 512Mb FREE or more