Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, my company wants me to transfer our website from our slow "Fasthosts" shared hosting to a much faster dedicated server. (running Fedora) Today I received the IP address ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question In at the deepend with a dedicated remote server.

Hi all, my company wants me to transfer our website from our slow "Fasthosts" shared hosting to a much faster dedicated server. (running Fedora)

Today I received the IP address of the server and the root login for SSH and that was it.

It has Apache 2 preinstalled and a few other things, but there is no control panel so I am having to set it all up manually.

I have dabbled with linux on and off (mostly off) since the mid 80's. Plus I had experience of setting up our remote virtual server a while back, but that had a couple of control panels to help out.

My initial problem is how do I setup ProFTPD. It's installed and I can connect to it using FTP through a dos window on my PC, but it does not accept my password. I foolishly assumed it would accept the same login as I use for SSH.

At the moment I am having to use FTP in the SSH window on the remote server to retrieve files from our old server. It's not ideal

How do I make ProFTPD let me log in as root, or anything else.

Thanks

Paul

Linux Guru
    You can use what you already have set up and working...transfer files encrypted thru SSH.

There are many clients that can do SSH file transfer just like what you're used to with FTP - one is WinSCP.

Otherwise, you probably need to look at the ProFTPD doco.

Quote Originally Posted by apropos View Post
    My initial problem is how do I setup ProFTPD. It's installed and I can connect to it using FTP through a dos window on my PC, but it does not accept my password. I foolishly assumed it would accept the same login as I use for SSH.
    Almost certainly, the default config does not allow "root" to connect. You should not be SSHing as "root", either... huge security issue.

Create a new user and use that user to FTP things around, SSH in, etc. Use sudo to run commands as root only when you absolutely have to.

Just Joined!
    Thank you both for your help.

I just had a phonecall this morning from our new hosts apologizing for not installing the control panel. So I may not be too bad off now.

On a side note. What would you think the safest practice is for FTP.

As FTP is unencrypted should I only ever allow FTP to a single safe folder then SSH afterwards and move my files around?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You can use scp to copy files from one machine to another when logged in via ssh. If you want to use ftp, then try sftp.

Just Joined!
    best I can do is hsow you what I have been working on

How to build a webserver, colocate, and manage it

and the forums

The Bob Hoffman Project :: View Forum - Web Server Build and Management

a few months away from a publishable product, but these are the notes..