Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to set up Samba on a Ubuntu Server 7.10 machine to act as a file server for my home network with an XP and a W2K machine on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba Read/Write Access from Windows

I'm trying to set up Samba on a Ubuntu Server 7.10 machine to act as a file server for my home network with an XP and a W2K machine on WORKGROUP.

I can see and access the Windows machines from the Linux box and visa-a-versa, but do not have write access to the Linux Samba shares from Windows unless I create a Windows user that matches my Samba primary Samba user “voices” which is both a user and a group.

I have added users and passwords to Linux and Samba which match the Windows user names and passwords. When I did this folders were created for the users under the home folder, and I've shared these folders, but not included them in smb.conf. I have also added the Windows users to the "voices" group.

Do I need to add a "force user" statement for these? I really don't understand what the "force user" and "force group" do.

On my W2K machine I added a user "voices" with the appropriate password and when logged on as voices I was able to write to the Linux shares specified in the smb.conf file, but with my normal login I am read-only.

Is there some way to require the Windows machines to login when attempting to connect?

I have run "chown" for voices "chown -R voices voices". Do I need to do this for the others users?

I've been working on this for a couple of days and am getting very frustrated. I'm fairly new to Linux and totally new to Samba and am totally confused. It shouldn’t be this difficult.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My smb.conf file follows:

[global]
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    netbios name = linux
    null passwords = yes
    security = SHARE
    path = /home
    wins support = yes

[Server]
    comment = File storage on Server
    path = /data
    force user = voices
    force group = voices
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes
    available = yes
    browsable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes

[homes]
    valid users = %S
    create mode = 0644
    create mask = 0944
    directory mode = 0755
    directory mask = 0755
    browseable = yes
    read only = no
    veto files = /*.{*}/.*/mail/bin/

[Data]
    path = /home/voices/Data
    available = yes
    browsable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes

[home]
    path = /home
    available = yes
    browsable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes

[voices]
    path = /home/voices
    available = yes
    browsable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes

force user and force group: values are used for ownership when you create a file through samba. Let's say you logon as johndoe and you want the ownership of files created through samba to be something else, that is what the force parameters do.

If you try to logon as someone who does not have an account it will let you where public access is set to yes. It uses the public account for it so you'll find it will not let you write I believe

Set security level to user that should prompt you for authentication.
    I am on a journey to mastering Linux and I got a bloody long way to go!!!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the feed back.

Just Joined!

Problems With Samba User Auth From Windows

Hello,
    I am trying to set up samba to where I can have multiple directories listed and each directory listed has a name attached (persons directory) and each directory has its own username and password for that person to log into. However when I go to open the directory and the authentication screen pops up, I type in the username and password but windows automatically changes the username to MACHINENAME\username.

For example: I have 2 directories listed joe and bob. I click on bobs directory and the authentication screen shows up. I type in bobs username and password (bob/bob) but windows is adding the machines host name in front of bob automatically making the authentication fail. Any ideas????

Just Joined!

Example

Hello,

Here is a better example. I am into my samba server and I have double clicked bobs directory. It prompts me for a username and password (set up for bob as un: bob pw: bob) I enter the un and pw for bob and then the authentication screen pops back up and windows has modified the username to be: Localhost\bob and I CANNOT change it. Once I overcome this boundry I should be clear for the final plans on this server. I am fairly new to all of this. I am also running webmin. I know my samba is set up right as well as ip tables. It seems like a windows knows best issue.